What to do? After getting advice here white tabs are missing

formula455

After reading on this site, I pulled my airbox lids and found my 92 vmax4 still had the white airbox inserts. 3 of the 4 of them were missing both tabs and even a small chunk broke out, it runs fine and starts on the first pull, It doesnt seem to have any mech issues, I pulled the boost bottles and using a mirror looked down to the reeds and I couldnt see any pieces.

I would take it all apart again and check everything i mean you dont want to go wide open across a lake and the tab gets sucked in to the motor It will get drawn into the engine through the carb opening at higher rpms. It can hold open a reed plate pedal,or go beyond that and go right into the cylinder
it's not a good ending for you or the sled

Last edited:
If they are missing and not in the reed cages they were removed but someone else in the past. If one was ingested into the engine you would know. If it runs good I wouldn't worry. Just get he rest out of the air box.

opsled

When going back together, should i leave the black flat plates the sandwich between the airbox halfs, it looks like they would be restrictive

Leave them in on a stock sled. Guys do remove or modify them sometimes when performance mods are done but not always.

opsled

Thanks to everyone for your help, Im kinda excited to ride it

I see you're in Antioch. I'm just 25 miles +/- north of you in Burlington Wi. If we get some ice this year we need ta rip the chain. The 4 lives for big ice.

If ya run into troubles or need help give me a shout. 262-767-9023

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Wow, thank you. And Yes I hope we get more ice then last year, I live on lake cathrine and watched 4 sleds go down within a hour. On a side note I found a 92vmax4 on cragis list, it has a blown track. you wouldnt happen to know anything about it? I was thinking is was right across the border also

If you end up needing work done Phil is the man. I live in the area and I feel so lucky to have found Phil on this site. He knows everything about Yamaha's and expecially V-4's. He even fixed the blown motor in my A/C Crossfire 1000 (piece of junk), and last non-yamaha I'll buy!. He is a very fair and honest man! Good luck!

Thanks for the words Carl. I wouldn't say I know everything as I know it's not the case but I've been around long enough to see a few things and know how to get answers to things I havn't seen before. Half the battle with tossing wrenches is to have some humility and the desire to get it right the first time.

That sled you saw on craigslist is in town here Carl and I have both seen it. It was rolled when the track blew and it took out the a$$ end of the sled a bit too. Highish miles (close to 9000 as I recall) and not very well maintained. Not a bad sled and fixable if you had the parts but if you didn't and/or had to pay to fix it you could buy a nice, ready to ride one for what you'd stick into it. It's still there but the owner needs more $ out of it than it's worth in todays market. If the price was a bit lower or I could trade something I would pick it up as I have the parts it needs but it wouldn't be a money maker to fix and flip.

opsled

So I didnt want to tear it down, so I looked the best I could with a flashlight and mirror, I was just about to put it together when I remembered ( I Have a borescope) so I go get it charge it up and what do I find 2 tabs stuck in 2 cyls. the 2 nearest the clutch, and upon futher inspection it looks like the other 2 cyls may have been pulled at one time

Stuck where?? If they get ingested into the crankcase while it's running things usually get real ugly. I've seen them turned sideways in the reed cage more than once but never saw an engine that actually ate one without having major damage.

opsled

they were stuck sideways in the reed cage. but what was kinda weird they wernt laying on the bottom of the cage but stuck to the to of the reed cage, but not in the reeds.

Back