Who races on asphalt?

Master of Faster

I know theres a couple of you guys who run on the tar.

I wanna try it this summer, how did you guys setup your rear skids?

Just add a bunch of wheels and pull the slides off? How are you adjusting the track? Just fab something up to adjust from the inside?

Do you have to have a cool-down cart at the races or is there enough time to cool down?

EDIT: Just remembered we have an asphalt racing section, feel free to move this post...

Last edited:

First you need a pair of anti-stab wheels way up front. Get em from Wahl and get a TWO wheel setup. This takes care of the safety/rule factor. They used to allow a single wheel but that has changed and makes good sense!

Second, remove your sliders.

Third, you need an asphalt track adjuster installed. You can get a set from Bender or the like cheap enough.

Forth, you can add wheel "kits" from Wahl like the one you have to get for the front. These can go in the skid toward the rear wherever you deem appropriate but VERY careful measurments MUST be made to ensure they are installed to benefit you and not make your rocket a disaster waiting to happen.

Fifth, use OEM wheel mounts and OEM wheels (I like the plastic OEM) as they do hold up great and don't break the bank. You can get the mounts on Ebay all the time sold as marginal snow wheel kits or get them right from the dealer.

Sixth, add adjustable straps to the front and rear or the skid. The stock ones are not going to work. I added a tube to my front arm so I had a place to put the adjusters in and straps (same hardware used on pro-action skid like Viper). This way you can use a wrench to adjust it and not just have a few stupid holes to pick from. You are going to lower it way beyond what those stock straps were meant to do.

Seventh, find some front lowering tubes too.

As far a s cooldown carts go. You have allot more time on TAR between runs most of the time but you can build a really nice cooldown cart for about $200 if you know where to shop. You need:
Cart - harbor freight about $50
30qt. cooler - FREE~everybody has an old f-ed up cooler lying around
Bilge Pump - Walmart about $20
Radiator with electric fan that will fit in the cart - Junk yard, buddies junk car collection or paper about $50~100
20' 3/4" heater hose - $20~30 depending on how good a hose you buy
12V car battery if you want it self contained or just jumpers from your tow rig for fan and pump power.
Miscelaneous rad hoses, couplers, PVC fittings, wire and switches. The biggy is the rad/fan. If you can swing it cheap you can save allot of money.

...Blue

Thanks alot man, thats just what I needed.

I figured the skid mods would be the toughest so I'd get started early if I could.

Do you have any preference as to what kind of skis to run? Brand? I know I've seen skis with two fat wheels each and also ones with four skinny wheels per ski.

I run the wahl ski's with four skinny wheels. The same ski is available with two wheels but I am like redundacy and safety. The USIs are the ones with the two wide wheels that are crowned....Blue

Just a note, make sure the skiis you get will work on the v4s front sissor suspension alot of the skiis don"t clear the loop.

Back