Yamaha 440 SS

new maxer

Pick up a decent 440 SS over the weekend. Claims it to be a 1986, but all of the vin # search sites want 17 didgits, it only has 9 (8N8-030092) Need to order some parts and want to confirm year. Does anyone know if these sleds were 121"? Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Yamaha 440 SS 001.jpg
    Yamaha 440 SS 001.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Yamaha 440 SS 002.jpg
    Yamaha 440 SS 002.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Yamaha 440 SS 003.jpg
    Yamaha 440 SS 003.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 87

8N8 is the year/model designation. The rest are serial # for that model/year starting with (usually) 000101.

An 8N8 is a 1982. The track is a 116X 2.52.

That track was used on 76-81 Exciter's, 78-80 SRX's, Phazer I's (first gen Phazer) and a couple of others. Hard to find in good used condition.

SS440 was a great sled. Quick, nimble, light and handled very well on smooth trails. Top speed, 80, 85ish in good conditions. It was the same chassis as an SRV with leaf springs in front, less suspension in the rear and a smaller CC version of the same engine.

They are tons of fun in a "low, get it to go" way. Normal for their day but lacking in the "cush" department for todays candy assed/backed riders.

Never owned one but rode and liked them.

Great sled!!

opsled

Yep great sled. My buddy grew up on one. The only problem he ever had was with the headlight not being bright enough one evening after a day of riding. He kept stopping and asking the rest of us if his headlight looked bright enough. Finally on the third stop I suggested he take his sunglasses off.

Got a zap from the killswitch, felt like I had ahold of a plug wire. Any ideas?

Been there, done that. A buddy of mine had one that did the same thing and the lights would go in and out and all kinds of other strange s**t. Turned out a bad ground and I think it was under the motor. He ended up wrapping the sled around a tree, I think he still has it if you need parts. I rebuilt the motor right before he wadded it.

Thanks guys, I think that would explain why the headlight bulb and socket are missing. Apparently I made a good ground reaching for a tool on the running with my other hand on the killswitch. I'll have to take a look at those wires, that seems like a good place to start as it appears they are just laying on the belly pan. May be interested in buying a chassis. I do need a ski, not sure which one? If you can tell in the picture, the ski's are miss matched so I'm not sure which one is correct. Shock mount is in a different place and it will limit travel more on one side verses the other. Need a windshield and the track is in pretty bad shape. Motor runs good. Just need some other odds and ends, not too much as I got it for the kids to play around on. A liitle more sled than they will need but couldn't pass up the deal I got on this one.

Back