Yamaha Snoscoot & Snosports

VernNet

This was the best catergory I could find to ask this question. Anyway, what is the difference between the Yamaha snoscoot and snosports?

Anyone have any pictures of the snosport?

1st was Snoscoot then a couple years later they put a better front suspension, 125cc engine with electric start and called it the Snosport. I've been told you could buy the E.S. from Yamaha as a kit for the Snoscoot. Performance is suposed to be very close with the extra weight?

Who needs electric start? They have kick start and pull start... I'm weak and I can start a sno-sport with one hand.

I've never seen either one with a pull start. I just sold my 2 snosports the other day. Here's the differences I know about.
Snoscoot
Made in 1988(Red)-89(Blue)
80cc 2 stroke oil injected
Some had electric start, all had kick start.
Front suspension was a leaf spring mounted sideways between the 2 skis.
Rear suspension was a monoshock skid with slide rails and 12" track.

Snosport
Made in 1990(White)-91(Black)
125cc 2 stroke oil injected.
All had electric start and kick start.
Front suspension was independant coil over shock with single A arm.
Rear suspension was the same as the scoot but with a longer track and seat
both rear skids had about 8" of travel.
Preload was adjustable on all shocks.

The top speed on the sports was about 30mph. There was less than 2mph difference between the 2 I had. The scoots that my kids raced in the local drags were noticably slower, I would guess low to mid 20's.
The 125's seem to be more desireable but I don't know if it's because they were faster of just because they all had electric start. All my kids sleds had electric start including the phazer. That sure is nice to know when they are out riding, they can start their own sled. My boy was riding his own sport when he was 4. It's hard to tell a kid to kick start a cold engine at that age.
Hope this helps some. If you have any specific questions or want to know what to watch for if you're going to buy one, PM me and I will try to help.

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was more just wondering what the differences were. I plan on buying one in the future, but not right now.

Thanks for the input.

Both are great machines. Snoscoots, as far as I'm concerned, the carbs were a little more finicky. I've owned 3 or 4 scoots (sold them all), and currently have a Sport. Never had any trouble with the carb on the sport.

vmax84

Back