1992 vmax4 front knee joints

Technician!

New member here. Been lurking and decided to join.

I need either a pair of knee joints (some call them scissor joints) for my 92, or a source for a bushing kit.
EVERY WHERE I search and find them, a multitude of Yam models are listed, but no kits for a 1992 Vmax4.

Any constructive suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again and great site!

Welcome to the site!
The vmax-4 scissors are different from the 500 and 600's. Have you taken yours apart yet? The Timken bearings are still available if you search the part number, but they aren't cheap. In most cases, you can clean up the bushings, bearings and repack them.
In some cases, they are seized so bad that you can't even get them apart, then you're pretty much screwed. Good used assemblies are getting harder to find, since most people never take the time to do preventive maintenance. Scissors are the same from 92-97 vmax-4.

Last edited:
Even the very clean garage kept sleds I've owned have had frozen bushings and bearings. That's gonna be a tough one to find. Some guys drill and tap for zerc fittings on the knuckles.

Thanks for the replies so far. Still too early to tell, but I will sacrifice bearings, and bushings (if necessary) to save my arms. Cheapest I have found needle bearings so far is around $7 a piece. Definitely be putting zerks in place when I get that far, though!

Welcome to the site!
The vmax-4 scissors are different from the 500 and 600's. Have you taken yours apart yet? The Timken bearings are still available if you search the part number, but they aren't cheap. In most cases, you can clean up the bushings, bearings and repack them.
In some cases, they are seized so bad that you can't even get them apart, then you're pretty much screwed. Good used assemblies are getting harder to find, since most people never take the time to do preventive maintenance. Scissors are the same from 92-97 vmax-4.

My message to you was to see if you still had any for sale, from an OLD posting. Thanks

The bearings you are looking for are NTN HK1414L.I got them for 3 bucks each at local bearing store.This is the number on original bearings.There is the same # but without the last "L" it's without an integrated seal.

Welcome to the site!

Will any other year or model work in place of a Vmax4? I realize the 4 has bearings, but could a set from a different model work if bearings were installed?
Or are the dimensions too far off to do it?

The bearings you are looking for are NTN HK1414L.I got them for 3 bucks each at local bearing store.This is the number on original bearings.There is the same # but without the last "L" it's without an integrated seal.

$3 each is an excellent price! Where did you get them from?
Thanks!

$3.00 is very cheep. The supplier I used are $7.77 each now.

http://www.vmax4.com/entry.php?63-Bearing-Info-for-the-Vmax-4
Well it was about 15 years ago that I got them from Canadian bearing in Peterborough.So cheap that I even put three bearings across the top position on the scissors because there was enough room .My buddy did his at the time as well and put in some ugly grease fittings.It ended up being so nice and snug using all new 1414L bearings with the seals and the new collars in them that it would not accept any grease!

Oh. I guess if you calculate what inflation, etc. has done to currencies, $7.77 is about the best price! I contacted Canadian bearing, so lets see what they will cost in 2016. I am afraid to find out.

Thanks for the reply.

Back