1992 vmax4

gitterdun1985

just wondering if you think my sleds sounds like it needs to have the air fuel mixture set... The longer I hold it to the bar the better it seems to work it seems to get a little sluggest on the take off and mid range

:schild27: With all the knowledge here I'm sure we can help although a bit more info would be helpful.

It could be fuel related, it could be clutching also. By the way it sounds a good carb cleaning is in order. Have you had this sled for a while or did you just get it?

I would say the first thing to check is the spark plugs as they tell the story of either rich or lean. Are they wet and black or dry and white, or cardboard brown? Does it smoke a lot? Has it been sitting for an extended period of time? (years) How did it run before?

The reason for checking the plugs first is because if it is fuel related and a lean condition for example, you could be looking at a serious engine damage if it is not corrected and you continue to run it this way. Clutching will not actually hurt anything per se, it'll just be a dog until you get it straightened out.

Last edited:
I checked the plugs this morning and they are a little wet but they aren't white or cardboard brown well sort of a brown not very much

Have you had this sled for a while?

If you are mechanically inclined still go through the carbs (if you haven't already) just for the peace of mind knowing everything inside is up to par and clean. Then you can also document the jet sizes and the needle settings and all that happy stuff. An engine meltdown causes much sadness.

what rpm does the machine start to move at? Clutch engagement I mean

the clutch engadges around 3000rpm i checked all the rollers and weights they all seem to be in excellent condition i just dont think its getting enough fuel but i do not know for sure.. thanks

1992 Vmax 750

The clutch enguages at 3200 RPM it has a yellow spring on the drive clutch which spring should I run if their is a set of stingers on it.. Thanks Kevin

3,200 seems to be a tad low. Stock is 3,600 if memory serves. I have mine set at approx 3,800 - 4,000.

One of the clutching gurus will chime in I'm sure. I can't really answer the spring question as my primary is stock.

Also, Are they just stingers or aftermarket pipes. That will also determine the powerband. IE when she "comes on the pipe"

Got a pic of under the hood?

I checked the plugs this morning and they are a little wet but they aren't white or cardboard brown well sort of a brown not very much

Ok, I'd get the clutch engagement up to 3,800-4,000 then.

Do you have a manual?

These engines don't perform well when loaded at low rpm's. Like starting out on a motorcyle in 4th gear. It'll go but takes time for the engine to overcome the load.

hard on fuel

1992 vmax4 750 18 000km I'm only getting between 50-60 km a tank deffinatly something wrong their can someone help me out thanks....

umm... Bear with me for Im a WI farm boy 'kay?

Do you have a manual? If not I think I know where you can get one.

Have you had the carbs apart and checked them for cleanliness and proper float level?

What main jet size is in there?

What is the jet needle clip position?

Did you check the oil pump cable setting?

Did you get the primary engagement point up to 3,600 rpm? Stock spring is gold/yellow/gold depending on altitude.

Do you have a manual?

Have you checked the secondary clutch components?

What degree is the seconday spring wrapped?

Are these "stingers" actual aftermarket or something home made?

Do you have a manual?

What is cylinder compression?

Is track tension too tight?

Is this 50-60 km per tank bustin' a trail through 3 ft of fresh snow or running a groomed rail bed?

And last but not least, Why did the previous owner sell a "mint" sled for 1,200? The last mint sled I bought had two funky pistons! And it was rideable, although not very snappy.

Can someone help this gentleman out please?

I don't mean to sound or come across as condecending but a person needs to start with the basics. KISS.

thanks for the info but I think it's the homemade stingers that are on it that is making it to hard on fuel they are 1 1/4 pipe which is way to big should be more like 3/4 inch wouldn/t you think...

vmax 4

just wondering if a set of homemade stingers would affect how much gas i would burn the factory exhaust is on just 2 , 1 1/4 strait pipes for the can its on a 1992 vmax 4 thankx

Back