2 New NSSR World Records fall on Vmax-4!

quadzillaracer

It turned out to be a great day at the first official return race of NSSR in Buffalo, Minnesota!

I started out on my first run with skis floating in the air and hanging on for dear life. I let off at the 800 ft mark because skis were starting to lift hard in the air. I figured maybe 140 mph seeing I let off. I waited at the end for Curt Wald to tow me back on the ATV, when I seen him give me the "waving thumbs up". I asked how fast and he said 158.xxx mph and I didn't believe him 'till I seen it for myself.

The next run was at least a full run but the engine was still a little on the cold side and took about 100 ft to make good boost, then to my suprise we went 159.707 mph. So the next run I had to break into the 160 club. I turned boost up 1 additional pound, gave the sled a good warm up and we hit 162.406 mph in 1000 feet.

So we ended up breaking 2 world records. The first being the "Open Lake Racer" world record held by Curtis Johnson of Illinois with a '99 Thunder Cat 1400cc with 3 stages of N20 @ 149.xxx mph in 1000'. We bumped that record by 13 mph.

Then the second record was "Fastest Full-Bodied Snowmobile in the World" held by Jeff Simmon's/ Jack Henricks of Simmon's CPR with an RX-1 holding the record of 153.xxx mph in 1000' set in 2008 as we broke that record by almost 10 mph in 1000'.

We had 1 more run but I didn't feel like laying all my cards out on the table, as the sled still has much more! Our next NSSR race is in Menomonie, WI on January 31st. I will be looking for 167-170 mph in 1000'

My goal this season was to break 155 mph in 1000' and with luck break 160 mph in 1000' by the end of the season, I can't believe we shattered that in the third run by almost 3 mph. This is a "REAL" full-bodied production snowmobile weighing 763 pounds and 15-years old, not a tubular chassis w/ production plastics. The complete turbo kit is 1 off and designed in my garage by me and dynoed @ Glenn Hall's of D&D Racing.

6-years of Curt and I talking and throwing out ideas has finally paid off, but not without much trial and error and some $$$$. But enclosing Caveman Racing as arrived and we have only began to make statements

For more pictures and info go to www.racenssr.com on Monday morning!

Thanks,

Justin Durand (Quadzillaracer)
Curt Wald (Vmax-4)

Caveman Racing Team

Excellent work!! What a great taste of satisfaction that must be. I bet every hour of lost sleep and every skinned knuckle was worth it.:4fzfpi:

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT GUYS !!

Very very cool...all the effort has paid off & more to come!!

I posted this link over on the TY forum...figured it would be cool for the
"other" Yammie guys to know what great work is being done with some
old iron!!

Great job!!

Cant wait to see the pics!!

162.406 mph WOW

justin.jpg

cavemanracing2.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent job fellas. Now that has to get your blood pumping eh?

Hopefully I can meet up wit ya's at one of the remaining runs. I need to get this RX1 on the ice now that the Judge is done.

Last edited:
That is smokin fast. It looks like everyone has been turbocharging the wrong 4 cylinder Yamaha. Turbo two strokes are awesome. Congratulations!

Great work, guys! I know you've put a lot of time and effort into that project and it's paying off. Everyone here knows the Vmax-4 is the greatest muscle sled ever built, and you guys are keeping it on the top of the heap! :smilies-9:bowdown::vmax4::party::urock:

Shark

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Kuhunas, I do have a new solid mat black Simpson Outlaw helmet w/ black lens, but I forgot to put "anti-fog" spray on the lens so I had to wear the orange open face, LOL! Next race...

Like I've said in the past, this has now been a 6-year fully custom project of trial and much error and much $$$$$ to get it where it is today!

Thank you to the following people for all your support and effort in making us what we are today:

Curt Wald (Vmax-4) a great friend and guy that has been with me since the early beginnings of this project and never gave up the faith.

Glenn Hall of D&D Racing for the use of their dyno setup to get this sled roughed in where it needed to be and for his help in setting up the new suspension and many other countless helping acts.

Mike of Tri-M Welding for working with me on fabrication and welding...a true talent with metal!

Mark Fritz Jr of Trego Machine and Tool for the quality parts that come out of that shops doors for this Vmax-4

Dave Forkins Sr. (Skinner) and all the crew @ Manitowoc Composites for taking the task of building a one off custom hood for this turbo Vmax-4. You have no idea Dave how much I appreciate the work and dedication that went into making that hood, it truly means alot to me personally.

And to anybody that I forgot in the spur of the moment, I am sorry and I Thank you! Now in less than 2-weeks I will pull out my Ace that has been under wraps and shoot to be the first true "Full-Body" snowmobile to hit 170 mph in 1000'...stay tuned!

Thank you all,
Justin Durand (Quadzillaracer)

Caveman Racing Team

Hi, Justin can you give us a little info on your rocketship ie: cc's,track length, looks like 121" suspension? lb's of boost or anything that won't give up your secrets. Excellant ride! thanks, Hopper

Back