76 SRX 440 - Advice & Opinions?

zachalyse

Just picked up my first vintage SRX. 1976 SRX 440 (Canadian). Near mint condition. Since it is new to me, I'm just looking for some general info on this sled. History, value, typical issues etc. etc. Just really interested in learning everything I can about it.

The downside to this sled it that it is not completely original, so I would like peoples opinions on how it's put together. It's a 76 340 chasis with a 78 440 engine and a 75 gpx suspension. Cost me $1800. Did I do ok?

And lastly:

1. I need a tach cable. Any idea where I can get one?

2. Seller suggested I bleed the coolent. Any special process to this other than elevating and removing cap and running it for a few minutes?

3. Headlight does not work. Bulb looks fine. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Attachments

• CIMG0865.jpg
    CIMG0865.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 104

GREAT SLED. I WON,T GET INTO WHAT THIS SLED IS WORTH BECAUSE ITS NOT ORIGINAL. IF IT WAS, YOU WOULD OF PAID ALOT MORE FOR IT. NOW THE CANADIAN 76 SRX IS SAME AS AMERICAN, EXCEPT BLACK HOOD. AMERICAN WAS WHITE. YAMAHA BUILT 1000 76 SRX,s. 500 340, 500 440 FOR U.S RACERS. PREFIX ON CHASSIS IS 8A7- 440, 8A8 -340. BEIEVE IT OR NOT , IT WOULD NOT TAKE MUCH TO MAKE THIS SLED CORRECT. FIND A 340 SRX ENGINE, AND PIPES, CARBS etc AND DROP IT IN. VERY EASY TO BLEED COOLANT, THEIR ARE DRAIN PLUGS ON CYLs THAT WILL EMPPTIE MOTOR OF MOST OF ITS COOLANT. THAN REFILL AND PULL BLEEDER OFF UNTIL FLOWS OUT. HAVE TO CHECK AROUND WHY LITE IS OUT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

also the bellypan condition is a big factor in the worth with these bad boys.i would say you didn,t do too bad overall.lets see some pics under the hood

I had same problem on my 80,Check the wiring routed under the exhaust pipes and up to the lite its self.I had a wire touching the pipe and burned through,DO NOT USE A CHEAP WIRE SPLICE it will melt in time.Use solder and shrink wrap it!

Back