800 Secondary Spring

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to get the clutching dialed in on my 95 after adding PSI modblasters. I read some thread on TY on clutching and it suggested replacing springs every year. I feel like that me be extreme but was considering replacing the secondary spring. When you look up in the parts fishe there was three secondary springs in 95. They range from Standard spiring 90508-556A7-00 foir $27.00 to optional spring 90508-536A9-00 for $14.00? I have several 800 secandary's here and several springs. Does anyone know what color was the standard spring, and/or any think about the optional springs? Thanks...

Not sure on the spring colors, but wanted to comment on the yearly spring replacement. The reason they suggest this is that the springs will lose some tension or compression from sitting in the clutches in a loaded state. Back in the day when I raced my Phazer I noticed that the clutches changed slightly after sitting. Took my valve spring tester and put the springs in there to check them, and they lost about 5% of their rated pressure! If that translates into a 5% change in RPM, you are going to lose about 400RPM on your shift RPM and be out of your peak power. Most of the guys I talked to about this said they would tear the clutches apart at the end of the season and let the springs sit in a relaxed condition to prevent the loss.

I'm pretty sure the stock secondary spring is silver for the 800. It's actually black with silver dot painted on it.

Yes. Worn belt can do that too. At least that's what my new 'Aaen clutch tuning handbook' says.! Lol

Yes, the softer the spring in the secondary, the easier it is for the primary to pull the belt down into the sheaves. It will also cause a less responsive backshift because there is less tension to pull the sheaves closed. You may be able to compensate by putting a little more twist preload in the secondary, but the results will be by trial and error if you do it that way. Personally, I would replace the springs in both clutches, clean and inspect everything, and put it back to the original settings, then go from there.

Yes. Worn belt can do that too. At least that's what my new 'Aaen clutch tuning handbook' says.! Lol

Worn belt is even worse. It will sit lower in the secondary unless you adjust for it. If not, it also lets the belt sit higher in the primary. Both these conditions will cause you to lose drive ratio. If I remember right, the Vmax clutches provide a 3.9-1 ratio before they start shifting out. If the belt is worn and not compensated for, it may drop to something like 3.5 or even less, depending on the wear. That will kill your initial take off.

Yes, the softer the spring in the secondary, the easier it is for the primary to pull the belt down into the sheaves. It will also cause a less responsive backshift because there is less tension to pull the sheaves closed. You may be able to compensate by putting a little more twist preload in the secondary, but the results will be by trial and error if you do it that way. Personally, I would replace the springs in both clutches, clean and inspect everything, and put it back to the original settings, then go from there.

Chis--That's actally what happen. I intially had it at 60 degree twist, and then went to 80 Degree. My RPM's increased buy about 200. Just ordered a new spring----Thanks...

Back