92 vmax 4

new maxer

Finally got a vmax 4 running that I bought earlier this spring. It needed a coil and it hadn't been run for 2 years. The previos owner had it on trade and just wanted to sell it since he didn't know much about Yamaha's. He did know that it had Wiseco pistons and ran good when it was parked. Got a deal on this sled and and am willing to bring it back from the dead. This sled was neglected for a number of years, rode in the Rockies 8-10,000'. The sled has potential but would like some input, got running but noticed that oil is leaking out of the left side exhaust pipes. Any sugestions, The belly pan and engine compartment was coated with oil, so I believe this has been a problem for a while. I know I could have bought a complete sled for more, but thought I could learn more about the 4's better this way. I'm in no hurry to get this sled on the trail but rather want to fix it right. I think this is a great web site, and would like some info from some experts. This is my first Yamaha, but not my first sled. I own 2 other sleds but am no expert on 2 stroke engines or clutches. Not sure if I want to completely restore this sled or just be able to ride. Any help would be appreciated. Kirk:sled:

When you say the left pipe is leaking oil it leaves me guessing from where. I can tell you that I had the same problem as far as the belly pan and front half of motor being covered with oil when I bought mine. On mine the problem was where the expansion pipes connected to the y-pipes. The coned end on one of the pipes had worn clear thru and the pipes were not sealed and let oil leak out. That was a problem on the early models. You might check there. Tom:m2c:

It's leaking where the pipe slides into the y pipe. And there may be a pin hole in the bottom of the upper pipe letting a very small amount of oil drip on the lower pipe. Thanks for the advice, I'll check the matting surface. The springs also don't seem like they have enough tension anymore

Back