94 vmax4 runs poorly

tomvmax4

Hello, i have a vmax 4 that is running poorly. it will start and idle great but when the throttle is pushed it wants to die. sometimes it backfires. if you fiddle with it enough it will rev up but it doesn't seem to be running quite right. it went through a fire and i got all the neccesary parts. it ran great for the first 15 miles! then in an instant it started to run bad. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Sounds basic but do you know if there is spark/fuel on all holes? ...and as Apsley asked, "how bad did it get burnt?".

:agree: It sounds like it could be the throttle override system (T.O.R.S.). If the throttle isn't operating correctly, the TORS will keep the engine from revving over 3000 RPM. Sometimes it's just a matter of a little silicone spray lubricant on the throttle pivot point.

Shark

Attachments

• 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2-15.jpg
    2-15.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 55
more info

i have checked the tors system it appears to be working fine. i bypassed the system an it still does the same thing. when it burned i lost the air boxes, the bellypan, the track and driveshaft, oil tank, and fuel lines. i have gone through almost all of the wiring to make sure it is still good and it appears to be fine. i replaced all this and the sparkplug boots because they weren't working very good. the plugs on the left half of the engine look fine but the plugs on the right are always much darker. i cleaned the carbs and the backfiring issue has been resolved but it is still slow for a vmax4. maybe the carbs need to be syncronized?

thanks for input!

syncronized the carbs. they were a little off. is there an easy way to check the crankshaft to see if it shifted any? im going t o try a new coil on that side because they were pretty close to the heat. maybe it will help

If I remember correctly, both coils are the same. So you could just swap them and if your problem goes to the other side of the engine, then you know it's that coil. To check the crank alignment, bring #1 cylinder to TDC and cylinders 3 and 4 should be at the same height.
Peter

i swapped the coils and it didn't change the situation any. as for the crank i put the cylinder closest to the clutch at tdc assuming it is number one. the two middle cylinders are close to level but off by about 1/4 inch.

Back