95 800 keeps locking (blowing) up

Potulny

I have rebuilt this thing 4 times now, first it was the far right cylinder, the last 3 times it went down it was the second from the left cylinder, the last time I pulled it apart to repair that cylinder I noticed the far right cylinder was on the verge of going as well with some scoring that required a new piston and rings, no aluminum stuck to the cyl wall or scoring that could be felt, that cylinder seems fine this time but I only managed to get about 8 miles out of it before it blew the last time, I have gone through the carbs, as a matter of fact the last time I rebuilt it I noticed the plugs looked like it was running lean so I replaced all jets with 55 pilots and 150 mains any ideas? It does have bender quad pipes on it. I really like this sled and don't want to loose it but I'm about ready to sell it.

far right, if setting on the sled, or looking at it from the front??

I`m thinking your sucking air somewhere, or other wise, have a sufficient fuel flow to the carbs, then motor issue..

oil injector working? (which are known to be bullet prooof, but maybe a line/s is bend, or???)

Possibly the air sucking issue....is this sled firing on 90 or 180*? Not sure if that would have anything to do with your issues, but thought I would throw it out there.
As Al mentioned, the kinked oil line could be an issue as well. Especially if you have had the carbs on and off a couple times....kinda easy to have a kinked line upon reinstallation...

Possibly the air sucking issue....is this sled firing on 90 or 180*? Not sure if that would have anything to do with your issues, but thought I would throw it out there.
As Al mentioned, the kinked oil line could be an issue as well. Especially if you have had the carbs on and off a couple times....kinda easy to have a kinked line upon reinstallation...

The bender quads have been on the sled since it was almost new, I have put 2500 miles on the sled with no issues, other than the bender quads and clutching the rest of the engine is stock, no crank alterations, the fuel pumps are clean and seem to be working good, as for oil lines, the last time I had it apart I replaced the oil line filter and made sure all lines were clear and flowing good, no kinks, I even made an adjustment to the oil pump cable to increase the amount of oil going in. This thing used to be bulletproof, 2500 miles and no issues other than a fouled plug every now and then when it was above 20 deg. F, it had 143. 5 main jets in it then and now I'm up to 150's and it is still going down.

Oh yea the far right cylinder I'm referring to is what is in front of you as you are sitting on the sled.

check the fuel pump, I have had 3, 3 cylinder pumps I have found bad. When the fuel pressure goes away, the cylinder with the longest hose fails, and fails fast. I had a viper the guy failed the mag cylinder 6 times before the pump was opened up, one of the disc shaped check valves came loose. Everyone overlooks the fuel pumps but these parts are getting old.

Did you check the pickup in the tank?

I had the pumps apart and they were real clean and I looked for pinholes but I could have missed something, as for the pickup in the tank I just checked it by looking in the tank with a flashlight, I will probably take it out this time to inspect it, I think the far left cylinder has the longest fuel line going to it I will have to check, thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

you did use a metal screen type filter for the oil pump line right? and not a rock style, or paper?

pulse lines from engine case to pumps good and tight?

I am assuming after every rebuild the cooling system has been bled and is circulating properly.(I learned the hard way on the old 540 vmax $$piston/piston$$)
Just throwing a thought out there, what type of fuel are you using? That ethanol crap can cause a feller a lot of trouble.

what fastmax said as well as making sure your boost bottles are not sucking air where they push into intake boots... make sure these are sealed good...
I am assuming after every rebuild the cooling system has been bled and is circulating properly.(I learned the hard way on the old 540 vmax $$piston/piston$$)
Just throwing a thought out there, what type of fuel are you using? That ethanol crap can cause a feller a lot of trouble.

Back