95 Vmax running too lean

Potulny

Hi I have a 95 with bender pipes and a clutch kit, this sled was set up when it was close to new, it now has over 2600 miles on it with no issues, a few years ago the rear cooler was destroyed due to studs chewing a hole in it, lost anti freeze and the engine ceased up, far right cylinder, I rebuilt that cylinder, it ceased again after 12 miles, this time it was the second cyl. From the left, after tearing down the engine agian I noticed the inside of the pistons had a black spot up on top, assuming they were overheated I replaced all pistons and the bad jug, the jug came from US chrome corporation, after 35 miles it ceased up again, this time the same second from the left cylinder, checking the plugs I noticed they were all pretty gray, not the tan they should be, the carbs have been gone through, I checked the oil feed cable and I have a 29mm gap at the cable adjuster, what I don't understand is before this all happened I never had a problem with it running lean, as a matter of fact, when it was above 20F there would be the occasion I would foul a plug, the last time it blew the temp out was 22F. I bought a complete gasket kit the last time I rebuilt it, winderosa was the brand, I noticed the stock cyl. Gasket is .038 and the winderosa cyl. Gasket was .040 thick, did these gaskets mess with my fuel mixture? I know the thicker gasket must have changed my port timing some but would that cause this to go that lean, my Jets are 142.5 and 47.5. Any ideas?
Clint

.002in, should`nt be enough to make much of a difference..

have you cleaned the carbs? checked for intake leak etc?

I went through the carbs and no intake leak, if it was a carb or leak the plugs would look different, in this case all of the plugs look the same, lean.

i had the same problem what idid was put 147 mains and150 on the number1 cylinder i also went to 55 pilots .that should cure your lean problem.

I think I might have figured it out, the sled has been sitting for about 8 years or more, maybe 10, today's gas has ethanol in it, lower octane fuel, could it be the lower octane fuel is causing a leaner mix? Quite possible. mr speed do you run quad pipes or are you running stock pipes? I think I will start with 150's and 50's, any reason you went with the 150 on number 1 cylinder? Did the plug on that cylinder tend to look a little leaner?
Also, anyone out there have a cylinder for a 800 they want to sell?

ya the number1 cylinder was a little hoter i also run regular gas plus my air boxes are guted. i also have bender quads and i did the cylinder lift40 thou and vent tubes up the steering post. with that set up im good for minus 20 .and we run our motors hard. we lake race around here and the max is usualy wide open for a mile to a mile and half

Back