97 bulk head/Tunnel

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys,
I found a pretty nice 97 vmax 4 out there, but it has a messed up tunnel. Thinking of turning into a project. Have a few questions for you experts out there. Will a tunnel/bulk head from a 96 work? I know this varies, but aprox how may labor hours to swap out the blk/head & Tunnel? Thank You!

The tunnel can be straightened out. The red of the 96 is not even close to the color of the 97.

The tunnel is actually torn. Pic is attached. I don't think this can be fixed, but let me know if I'm wrong.....

Attachments

• 97 tunnel.JPG
    97 tunnel.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 116
Thats not too bad looking. Take a picture with the seat off if you have time, but that looks a lot easier to fix than transferring all the parts over to the 96. There are some good metalworkers here to give some direction on a proper repair.

The only way to ever get that tunnel to look good is to replace it. If you replace just the tunnel, it is not that bad of a job. If you polish the tunnel, you could replace it with any year. The suspension mounting holes will need to be drilled in a slightly different spot. Remember the VIN number is also stamped in the tunnel which would tell you what year the sled is. No easy way to get around that. Jeff Wurl

Thanks Jeff, didn't even consider that the mounting bolts would be a different location. I guess finding a 97 tunnel would be my best bet.

Carl,

I believe all the 97's came with the holes predrilled for both the original vmax suspension and the pro-action suspension, if you're concern is having extra holes.
If you go with a pre 97 tunnel you can pull the measurements off your old tunnel, and I know there are several posts on here that will provide you the measurements.

IMO, if you are going with a non-stock suspension that has totally different mounting holes, you might want to go with a pre 97 tunnel so you dont end up with all those extra unused holes to weaken your new tunnel....

Marc :smilies-9

Below is a pic of my 97 tunnel showing both sets of suspension mounting holes...

Attachments

• 97 vmax4 001a.jpg
    97 vmax4 001a.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I think those holes circled up front are for the cross bar with the wheels on the st 136 model. I can look later today.

I have pulled the motor out of my 93 Vmax-4, the skid, and the front suspension (torn it pretty much apart) but I'm wondering how much work it's going to be to swap out a tunnel, and Is it better to swap the tunnel and bulk head @ the same time.

Can anyone give me a rough idea on amount of work to replace tunnel, and or tunnel w/ bulkhead? I'm not a mechanic, but over all pretty handy(I have pulled the motor out of my 93 Vmax-4 and replaced oil lines, ect..., pulled and completely rehab'd skid, and sent out the front suspension to Schmidt Bbrothers then re-installed, but wondering if I'm getting over my head w/ tunnel??? . Thanks for the help. This web site is the best( But its turning me into a Vmax-4 addict!)

I have done it with a 94 vmax 500. It wasnt too bad, i took lots of picture for reference, although an assembled sled is also a great guide for reassembly. I found the biggest pain in the ass was riveting everything back together. I didnt feel comfortable using aluminum rivets and steel rivets get tiresome on the wrists with a crappy hand riveter. Other than that its just a matter of not losing anything, trying not to strip out old bolts, and just having some patience along with a decent place to work. I would also recommend a good table or bench or something you can the sled at a decent working height. My back is getting older everyday and all that bending down to sled height is annoying unless you happen to be 4' or shorter. Good luck I say and dont be intimidated.

-Rustman

I changed out a couple over the years, a nice elevated work area, and an air rivit gun make this project much easier on your body.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a battery operated rivit gun out there now a days...
I agree with Rustman, don't let it intimidate you!! Once you get started you will realize it is not so bad.
And if you can get that new tunnel you jst saved yourself a good part of the work... I never stripped out a tunnel I was trying to save to reuse...
Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress!! pics too!!

Bubba

Thanks guys, I already own a good stand, but will definatly be purchasing an air rivet gyn. Tthere's no way I would try this w/ my $ 20 home depot special! I think you have me talked into it! If i replaced bulkhead at same time would that be much easier?

Those circled holes punched up front do not even exist on the 97 136" model. The hardest part of fixing that tunnel will be installing the suspension when you are done. It really will be easy.

Attachments

• november 2011 239.jpg
    november 2011 239.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 51

Back