Another good weekend

Kahunas

I went to the RADAR runs today at Lake Traverse. They only ran 660 feet, but the track was very nice with plenty of shutdown.
When I got there, I thought I would try the pro stocker out to see how it would run. I hadn't made a full pass on it yet since I bought it, so this would be its maiden voyage with me behind the bars. Man, what a drag! It ran so poorly that I was thinking I had an ignition problem. I brought it back and changed to a different battery, but same problem. I was ready to give up on it for the day when Alan and Gary Ulmer from Ulmer Racing showed up and spun some magic. They knew someone there with Polaris parts and they went to work. I took it out and KABOOM!!! It ran great!!! It was overrevving right away, then dropped back down to 10,000. I left it that way for the rest of the day and it ran 101 in 1000 feet. It was one heck of a ride with the limited suspension and the big bump at the end of the track!!!!
The 880 Max went 101 as well. I ended up with first AND second place in open class. It was a much smoother ride than the pro stocker.
The Ulmer Apex ran very well today as did their Nitro, both winning their classes.
Thanks again, Alan and Gary!!!!!
It was good to chat again.:clap: :clap: :653:

allarson said:
thats good running for the max what are u running for gears, is that the 1000cc class or the 800

I changed gears to run 660 feet. I was at 24 37 for 1000 feet, then went to 22 37 for 660. I am still slipping the belt out of the gate, so I know I still have room for improvement.

Kahunas said:
I went to the RADAR runs today at Lake Traverse. They only ran 660 feet, but the track was very nice with plenty of shutdown.
When I got there, I thought I would try the pro stocker out to see how it would run. I hadn't made a full pass on it yet since I bought it, so this would be its maiden voyage with me behind the bars. Man, what a drag! It ran so poorly that I was thinking I had an ignition problem. I brought it back and changed to a different battery, but same problem. I was ready to give up on it for the day when Alan and Gary Ulmer from Ulmer Racing showed up and spun some magic. They knew someone there with Polaris parts and they went to work. I took it out and KABOOM!!! It ran great!!! It was overrevving right away, then dropped back down to 10,000. I left it that way for the rest of the day and it ran 101 in 1000 feet. It was one heck of a ride with the limited suspension and the big bump at the end of the track!!!!
The 880 Max went 101 as well. I ended up with first AND second place in open class. It was a much smoother ride than the pro stocker.
The Ulmer Apex ran very well today as did their Nitro, both winning their classes.
Thanks again, Alan and Gary!!!!!
It was good to chat again.:clap: :clap: :653:

I forgot to add that after the races were over, everyone scrambled to the starting line to run head to head. I wanted Alan to make a pass on the Max to see what he thought, so he lined up with the boys and needless to say, the Mighty Max let 'em have it. It was pretty funny to watch from the sidelines. I then took Alan's Apex to the line and it was the same story with that as well. That was the SMOOTHEST 11000 RPM ride I have ever experienced. That thing comes out of the gate like a monster and then after the initial pull, it was as smooth as silk. It was a very impressive ride. Yamahas made a good showing yesterday.

PERFECT day on the ice! It doesn't get any nicer/better on the ice than it was yesterday. I think we should've talked em into doing the same thing next weekend except make the track 1000'! Of course I had my digital camera in the truck and never took it out to get any pictures! Both sleds of Kahunas have improvement left in em yet too! Thanks for letting me take the sled for a spin at the end Mike, I thought those guys wanted to race, but when I looked to my left & right I couldn't see anyone. I thought I was on a solo pass until I got into the shut down and saw everyone turning around behind me! Thanks for the ride. Next time I'll bring boost.....

Here you go. I hope they will post pictures later...

http://web.tnics.com/netb/Radar_Run.htm

Alan, I am going to bring both Maxxes down to do some track dyno testing. I just don't know when. I hope you have alot of parts lying around!!!!!! Hopefully we can spend a whole day on them. I hope to get some work done on the pro stocker soon. I think I will retire it for the winter so I can get it prepped for asphalt. :vmax4:

Yammiegod, I've pulled the trigger on Vmax-4's quite a bit back in the day. This was fun to get out onto the ice and now it might be time to add another one or two to the Vmax-4 collection we've started.

Kahunas, know of any other radar runs around coming up or are they all done now?

Kahunas, just think what it'd be like if you still had that 750 turbo Vmax-4 you had way back when!

I'm not sure of any coming up. If there are, I would like to do 1 or 2 more. What was it you guys had said about getting rid of that belt slippage off the line? Was it a certain type of weights? On the 880, do you think that it is slipping because of the dreaded "speed sheave"? How do I pinch it harder out of the gate? You know how soft it is coming in now.

I AM GLAD YOU POSTED THOSE RESULTS KAHUNAS. I LOVE TO COMPARE SPEED. ESPECIALLY WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING. IN 660 MY BEST MPH WITH 2000 SRX WAS 97. MY BEST MPH IN 660 WITH MY 96 VMAX 4 800 (quad piped ) WAS 103. I HAVE NOT TIMED MY 2002 SRX IN 660 YET OR MY 95 (stock) VMAX 800. THANKS AGAIN. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Srxspec said:
Kahunas, just think what it'd be like if you still had that 750 turbo Vmax-4 you had way back when!

I didn't know that you even knew about that turbo'd Max. I do wish I still had it. I KNOW I could make it work now. I had that turbo in a box in my closet for about 2 or 3 years before I sold it. I just didn't have enough patience back then. Amazing what happens when you get old!!! A little turbo lag would be nice for speed runs...:drink1:

Mike, I remember that turbo sled just vaguely. I remember it at a grass drag out in the Pierre area once. That was a 93 wasn't it? Too bad you still didn't have it!

Tony, for reference to the radar gun, my gps (stuck in my pocket of course) showed 101 mph and the speedo on the Apex read 114 (I know this speedo is off exactly 11%) on the 96 mph passes. Take the radar speeds for what it's worth, but I'd guess that gun is off by about 4-5 mph. It was the same for everyone regardless.

Kahunas, we should've lined up the Apex & the 97 Vmax-4. I know which had more MPH but I think the Apex might of had a quicker ET in 660'!

:moon:

Srxspec said:
Kahunas, we should've lined up the Apex & the 97 Vmax-4. I know which had more MPH but I think the Apex might of had a quicker ET in 660'!

Yours was definitely better out of the gate! I bet it would have been tight. Hopefully we can get that belt slippage stopped on both machines. It would be nice to have a STALKER setup to know for sure...

Let me know if you find any more local runs. We will run 'em next time.

ALL THE RUNS I POSTED WERE ALSO ON GPS. YA KNOW I ONCE HAD SOMEBODY SAY '' AND WE ALL KNOW HOW UNACCUATE A GPS IS '' RADER GUN ALL THE WAY. ONLY TIME A RADER GUN IS ACCURATE IS WHEN A COP HAS YA PULLED OVER. HEY ALAN , MIND IF YA DROP YA A E MAIL. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Srxspec said:

WE RACED MIKE (buster 696) APEX THIS PAST FALL ON THE GRASS WITH MY 95 VMAX 800 PROBLEY HALF DOZEN TIMES. HE NEVER BEAT US. EVERY RUN WAS ABOUT SLED/ TWO SLEDS FOR THE 800. BOTH SLEDS SPEED TRACKED AND CHISELS. VERY CLOSE RACING. I WILL SAY I HAD TO BE PERFECT OR HE WOULD OF BEAT US. IT WAS JUST OUR DAY. EVERYTHING WAS IN OUR FAVOR I GUESS. PERFECT SET-UP FOR THAT DAY. RACED ANOTHER ONE SAME DAY ON NOS AND HE BEAT US BY A SKI LOOP. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Kahunas, I'm working on the Stalker STATS as we speak.

Tony, I sent you a PM with my email address in it.

Back