Bearing removal question

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I'm working on taking the drive axle off one of my 800 to upgrase Jackshaft, clutch's on 93. On the spedo side it was pretty rusted and I had a hard time getting the nut off, but after letting soak in a little PB Blaster it came off. Now spedo bearing is rusted into shaft. I don't care about bearing, but don't want to damage shaft. Any of you experts have any good techniques to get this off? I have soaked for a day w/ PB Blaster and still seams stuck. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Spedo bearing.jpg
    Spedo bearing.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 125

If heating the bearing doesn't work, you could probably cut the sheet meal flange off with a Dremel and get a bearing puller on it. The last time I bought the sheet metal flanges they were only about $10 for the set.

Shark

If heating the bearing doesn't work, you could probably cut the sheet meal flange off with a Dremel and get a bearing puller on it. The last time I bought the sheet metal flanges they were only about $10 for the set.

Shark

If ya go that route Carl I have the flanges. The outer bearing race will break real easy with the right force too then it will slide right through the flange. Ya have to be carefull not to damage anything else and wear eye protection though.

The right hammer and some finess usually works for me. I've also got a bearing puller around here someplace that will work. Care is needed to avoid mucking up the threads. If you have it up here slide over and I'll get it off quick for ya.

Many ways to skin that cat.
opsled

Thanks Phil-----I'm going to cut that flange and bring it by. I appriciate all your help AS ALLWAYS!

Another quick tip My Axle bearing- clutch side speedo looked good on the outside after removing the speedo and outside flange cover, but i decided to take it one step further and try and get bearing out to check it for how freely it rolls, i was fortunate unlike Carl's above to get the bearing off with vice grips on ouside race, and it pulled off after checking it out it does not roll freely as it should it has binding in it for sure you could never spin it on the shaft or your finger not even a little
So even if it look's as mine does dont bank on it not failing, Wow IM glad I had the courage tIMG-20131231-00368.jpgIMG-20131231-00367.jpgIMG-20131231-00366.jpgIMG-20131231-00365.jpgo go after it

i forgot to mention the good looking side was the side you could see without having to pull it off, and my sled is a 1996 original bearing, 2,145 miles on sled

Personally I would either clean and repack or use a good quality bearing here. I use the cheep "Chinese" in my. Skids but when a failure can case damage I use good quality bearings.

Hi Carl there $34.00 at my local dealer, OEM Yamaha KOYO Part# 93306-27206-00 i think i will just buy a new one and be done with it, peace of mind for me is worth it..
No cheap chineese stuff for this beast.,

Hi Carl there $34.00 at my local dealer, OEM Yamaha KOYO Part# 93306-27206-00 i think i will just buy a new one and be done with it, peace of mind for me is worth it..
No cheap chineese stuff for this beast.,
I agree. I got to know a manager a local bearing distrubuter this past summer and he was a big fan of Koyo bearings. I for spedo and also chain cases...

Back