Carb plastic tabs -- remove yours now!

sevenspeed

Yes, I should know better.

Yes, scroll down just a few threads and there is the title 'Pick up my first vmax4 what should i look for?????' and this is Post #1

Pulled all the sleds out of storage and was only moving them from shed to the garage to being going over them for the year. On the way, the sled nearly gets out from under me with the throttle stuck open.

Culprit? Yep. White plastic tab ingested in #1, but stopped by the slider. It was 1/4 of the assembly so it did not go far luckily. Instead it held the slider open!

All of them are coming out. Just sharing the motivation so that the rest of you with tabs installed will go remove them right now!!

I was going to post something on these today as well. I've been looking at mine 2 or 3 times a season wondering if all you guys are crazy or what.... Cracked the boxes last night to get them back on and whatta ya know.. 3 were cracked and 1 was looking very loose. GONE!

It;s not just a myth, or an old wives tale. This does happen, and the best thing you can hope for is the above case. Worst case, you'll be looking for a crank repair, because of a bent rod or spun gears.

OK, I know this is a stupid question, but how do you get the claps secured w/ out tabs. I bought all new ones from yamaha because I was afraid of this, just breaking them off would have been a cheaper fix!

I didnt just break them off, I removed those white collars completely. I never had an issue tightening the clamps, and they stay where they should.

can some one post a picture please. most likely there still on my 750 and not looking for failure up in the mountains as a run alone.

Mine just slip back on the air box and put the claps as near the air box as possible. sevenspeed its not a myth that as to go to myth busters to see if it real.lucky it didn't go completely bad. Am glad for the guys on this site in my post#1 for the help as when i took a look at then there were all crack and ready to go. thanks guy's you saved a 92 vmax4

Mine weren't cracked, but very yellow and brittle. They came out easily. I'm very relieved that I did it.

White Tabs

Here are some pictures for those of you that are not familiar with what we are talking about. I guess that it is your personal preference, either remove completely or break off the tabs. In the pictures you can see that some of the tabs were cracked and ready to be sucked into the carbs.

Attachments

• White Tabs 001.jpg
    White Tabs 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 265
  • White Tabs 002.jpg
    White Tabs 002.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 265
  • White Tabs 003.jpg
    White Tabs 003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 265
  • White Tabs 005.jpg
    White Tabs 005.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 265
  • White Tabs 006.jpg
    White Tabs 006.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 266
  • White Tabs 007.jpg
    White Tabs 007.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 264
  • White Tabs 008.jpg
    White Tabs 008.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 263
Thanks for the pictures! They're worth a thousand words. There are many references to the plastic tabs breaking off, but I've never seen pictures. You should tech your post!

Shark

Shark,

I agree, it should be posted in the tech area. This topic comes up quite often, but I am not sure how to post it there.

Thanks,
Donovan

By opening the air box and removing the restrictor plate you should have full access to the tabs.
Removal of the lower part of airbox and rubber boots isn't necessary....

unless there is something else i missed?? there are jst 2 tabs per collar, correct??

Bubba...

white tabs 003.jpgwhite tabs 002.jpg

unless there is something else i missed?? there are jst 2 tabs per collar, correct??

Bubba...QUOTE]

Yep.. and thanks for that pic. Ive been looking to find where this little piece of aluminum with some weatherseal on it came from. Fell off 3 years ago and luckily I saved it... Rivets to belly pan under secondary. THANKS! Lol.

Chris

Here's pics of what can happen. Notice all the aluminum that was in the airbox. The clean cylinder is a good one for comparison.

The airbox and cylinder are off my first 92 that I restored to ride. The guy drove the sled home after it blew.

It ingested a tab into # 2 cylinder. Piston broke apart into many pieces. Many were in the pipe. The rod was bent but still intact with the wrist pin on it. The rod and pin broke the bottom skirt off the cylinder and jambed it back through the reed cage. With that reed broken #1 cylinder ingested many particals of aluminum into it and it was junk too. The 3-4 side was perfect.

The crank half is out of another 92 I bought for parts. It still ran and was being used as you see the crank. When the rod broke it was bent enough to wedge between the crank throws. I heard it run before I bought it and it didn't sound bad. A little off but no bad knocking noises ar any such thing. His kid was still ripping the lake with it. What was left of the piston, the rod end and the wrist pin all made there way into the pipe.

Those heads were junk on both engines but the cases survived. I've seen holed/torn open cases from what I suspect was air box tab ingestion. I've never seen a Vmax-4 with good tabs unless they were replaced or the sled was a very low miles machine.

opsled

Attachments

• airbox tabs 001.jpg
    airbox tabs 001.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 147
  • airbox tabs 002.jpg
    airbox tabs 002.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 146
  • airbox tabs 003.jpg
    airbox tabs 003.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 146
  • airbox tabs 004.jpg
    airbox tabs 004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 144
  • airbox tabs 005.jpg
    airbox tabs 005.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I just pulled the tops off the air boxes on my '93 Vmax4..... 5 of the 8 taps were cracked ( 2 were bad ). This could have been a real bad situation. I feel real fortunate to have read this post!.... Thank you for the heads up:D The tabs are gone now!

Last edited:

Back