Cdi swap

Ted

Vmax-4 Collector
What are the benefits of running 800 Cdi on my 93 750 with psi quads? Any drawbacks?

The only drawback I heard of is the heated grips not working as well.....Think it was Rustman who told me that?

Yeah, I noticed that my grips would not work after the swap. Never really bothered me, I rarely get cold hands. Benefits are better timing curve, a few more hp as well at stock rpm. There is a comparitive dyno sheet on here someplace, I believe it was around 3hp at 8350. It does seem to me though that at higher rpm the benefit would be greater because of the rev limiter on a stock 750 box.

Do you think it is a coincidence they don't work or a direct result of Cdi swap. It seems like a very easy way to get more power. But I definitely don't want to lose my heated grips. I like to wear thin or no gloves while riding. Are the heated grips from 750 to 800 possibly different?

Grip assemble and thumb Warmers are different part #'s on the 800 vs 750.

Last edited:
So maybe the resistance on the Warmers is different and the 800 Cdi fries the 750 Warmers. So the 800 Warmers should be part of the swap.???

Personally I think it is due to the fact that the 750's are hi/lo settings where the 800's have the variable warming dial. If you were to swap harnesses, and add an 800 style dash panel it should work. I have never tried to confirm this.

Personally I think it is due to the fact that the 750's are hi/lo settings where the 800's have the variable warming dial. If you were to swap harnesses, and add an 800 style dash panel it should work. I have never tried to confirm this.
:agree: 100%

Yeah, I noticed that my grips would not work after the swap. Never really bothered me, I rarely get cold hands. Benefits are better timing curve, a few more hp as well at stock rpm. There is a comparitive dyno sheet on here someplace, I believe it was around 3hp at 8350. It does seem to me though that at higher rpm the benefit would be greater because of the rev limiter on a stock 750 box.
Did you notice the difference in power? Would I be pushing it on a stock 750 motor as far as reliability. I do not have a welded crank and am running psi quads already.

Power is not the issue on the 750's with spinning cranks. It is the RPM. If you push it past 8700 or so, the crank will go. I noticed a difference. My 750 with add-ons will beat my bone stock 750 everytime, both the same year.

Hmmm,, I must look into this cdi/warmer deal. I can't see why it should be an issue. Ignition and assessory electrical functions don't cross paths in anything I've dealt with. Might learn something new here. opsled

Well,,, I spent a half an hour so studying/comparing the wiring schematics of the 750/800's. I see no reason why the warmers should be effected by a CDI change. The two systems are independant from each other as is the lighting system. The warmers even have a seperate power source from lighting. Maybe I'm not looking at/thinking about it right but,,,, opsled

Phil- I have a 800 CDI that has the 750 plugs so we could try on your sled and see? That is if I'm every up by you and you are not at work.

Someone other then Rustman must be running a 800 CDI in a 750...

Last edited:
I have one on my 92 also Carl but have only been to the drags and ripped the yard since I put it on. I don't know if I even tried the warmers after the install. opsled

Rustman; I had an electrical problem on my 93 where wires pulled apart under the handlebar pad and my headlight and Warmers wouldn't work. Maybe it's a weird coincidence that they stopped working. This happened at nearly the same time my wiring harness melted and shorted on the psi pipes. Took me forever to figure it out because I was so focused on the damaged harness. I even completely swapped a new complete hood with Undamaged harnesses on it.

It very well may be something unrelated. It seems to me that I remember the low setting working and not the high. I never use them anyways, so it really doesn't affect me. The only reason I even found out that they didnt work was when someone else drove my sled.

Anybody think the carbs need rejetting if swapping 800 Cdi in place of 750 Cdi. On a 93
750 psi piped.

Is it jetted for the psi's yet? If so then I would say no, if no then I would say yes, definitely.

Back