Clutch Questions

BillWi

Hello Everyone:

I recently picked up a 1992 V-max 4 that had 1590 miles on the ticker, but it had been sitting for 2 years, the gentlemen that I picked it up from said that the engine ran great, but the secondary clutch was seized up. I was lucky that he had drained the gas tank, so there was no stale gas in the tank, and I cleaned the carbs real good and she started right up after about 15 pulls. I ran her very gently for the first fifteen minutes just to let things settle in. Then I took her down the trail from my house and everything seemed fine until I opened her up. It would make it to about 50 mph and that was it. The engine sounded good, no bogging or anything, but the sled just wouldn't go. Then I turned the sled to head back and I noticed a droning sound coming from the area where the seconday was. It made it back to the house, but something is not right. I also noticed that the guy I got this sled from put on a comet clutch for the primary, It seems that the Comet rubs on the inside of the side panel, not bad, but enough to leave a mark in the foam insulation. I pulled the secondary off and it appears to be in real good shape. What is a tell tale sign of a secondary being bad?? Also is there a diagram or instruction on the breakdown of the secondary??

I appreciate any and all help on this.

Thanks
Bill:smilies-9

Back