Clutched and IMPRESSED ( 94- 750)

fixerman519

I had a guy help me with my set up today , I had put in a hauck blue with the stock 89a-10 weights, at b-3 . It pulled like a sun of a gun but was reving 8700 ish. The guy that gave me a hand has ALOT more smarts than me at this stuff and offered to help. HE dropped to A-4 to bring rpm's down abit and to get a base line. Worked great bit to jumpy off the line for my taste 5200 engagment so he asked if he could try his set up with it . He had the stuff from when he raced for yamaha. He used the stock 94weights and rivets with a yellow/silver/yellow primary, We used a 42/37 helix (thanks apple cider) with the stock secondary spring(for a 94 cant remember the colours) with it in A-2. Engagment was 4100 rpm ( not so jumpy) we then lined up in the field against his 09 800 dragon that has been chipped and clutched with alot of studs ( I have no studs only a 1 1/4 ripsaw) Before we started to begin with ( with the hauck blue on b-3) we did a couple 1000 foot runs as a base line.It was almost dead even for about 700 feet then he pulled away ( slowly). Now after the clutch mods to his settings when we left he pulled 2-3 lenghts off the line ,then dead even for about 800 feet, then I was catching him at the 1000 ft mark ( down to 1.5 lengths behind. I was loving it considering I am still running stock exhaust with stock can, and no other mods that jetting and helix and primary spring. ( I WAS IMPRESSED) considering My "TUB" is 16 years old and weighed 260 lbs more ( including drivers weight differences ). He GAVE me the spring and I got the helix from a member for $40. CHEAP speed. I love these sleds !!!!!:4fzfpi:

Actually not to bad, I loved Yammie Gods set up , but with the bush running here and taking the kids out every now and then it was alittle to aggresive ( low end) . The back shift is noticeable when it happens or needs to happen but VERY slightly. I actually like it as I get use to it, I go in the bush ( on the trail) and give it a little snap and then I can run through at a lower RPM then before, and when I come out of the bush its right there. I gave up a bit on the bottom end ( launch) but I dont LAUCH alot from a dead stop anyway. I will try against a buddys F7 on Sat , We raced last year but I couldnt beat him , until we both started at 70 mph was I close , and we both topped out at 108-110mph, I will post how that goes.

Put 120 miles on Sunday with 2 F7's , worked awsome, something cool about pullling the skis going down hill, I ran both F7's from a stop for 1400 feet, they got me off the line due to a bad bog, we were dead even till about 1100 feet then I passed them ( i was fricken smiling) we we stopped the both said OH I let off and I thought we were done ( they were still all tucked in behind the windsheild though) my fuel mileage went way up from 7.8 / 8 mpg ( US GALLON) to 10.8mpg US gallon. The back shift is noticeable but not terrible.

Clean up that bog off the line, and maybe you`ll take um from start to finish!! they won`t be able to argue that one..

May be a bit lean on the bottom...or could be clutch related...I don`t know.

anyway, rock on man!!! sounds like their may be a few new cat owners with a new respect for the infamous vmax4`s!!

and just think..there`s almost always performance left on the table somewhere...blue printing, figuring out the off the line bog, anti ratchet drivers, (be able to loosen up the track, and free up a little HP) and the list goes on..

VMAX4`S ROCK!!!!

AL P

I moved all the suspension pivots and loosened the straps, also running extra wheels up front for the friction. I am running the new track ( 1 1/4 ripsaw ) loser that my old/stock track with no skipping ( 2 thunbs up) I only bottomed out once and my back was fine ???? the only issue was it was alittle to light on the ski's in the bush. I do like passing someone and looking down at the speedo and seeing 130km/hr and noticing the ski's are not touching the snow yet !!!, last year I was getting frusterated because I was not that fast , I was hard on fuel and a sore back to boot , this year it is really respectable on fuel considering the speed and with that I can ignore the suspension lows. every time we fueled @ 60 miles I was 4-5 dollars ( 1.09/ liter)less than the F7's ( a first for me ) My sled seems to coast this year also which is nice, last year when I let off it was like the brakes were on. I let a buddy run it that has a 600 triple Indy now his is forsale and he is searching for a v4 ( another converted ) . I hope to go to the local radar run this weekend to get a real comparison between mine and the F7's. My bog ?? will the pilot screws help or should I up my jet to a 50 from a 47.5 , engages at 4200 and only bogs for a split second ( then takes off) feels like when the motors to cold for go time.

Sweet!! sounds like you really got this thing down to a science!!

yeah, you could try backing out the fuel screw a touch.... usually if you can get a proper mix between 1 to 3 turns out..your pilot jets are the correct size...but if you find your self, getting best results outside of the 1 to 3 turn range, then its likely you need to change pilots...of course a hair here or there aint no biggy, but it`s a general rule of thumb..(on the bikes with mikuni`s i work on anyways, don`t see why these would be any differant?)
do you know what your screws are set at now?
just to add..you probley already know this..but on these carbs, backing the screw out, richens up the mix..threading it in, leans the mix..

AL P

I am out 1 1/2 turns , maybe I will try 2 turns and see if that helps, thanks. always liked bouncing Ideas , its amazing what a person can learn that way .

Back