Compound Turbo Yamaha Vmax-4

quadzillaracer

I seen on another post that a few guys wanted to see an under-hood picture of my "Compound" Turbo Vmax-4 speed run sled (yes, compound means 2 turbos; 1 large low-pressure primary turbo and one small high-pressure turbo for quick spool rate). Still shooting to make it out to DynoTech Research sometime soon in 2013 to verify the new horsepower/torque numbers. Still getting the urge to make one more NSSR event this winter to break my old record. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG00043-20110116-1751[1]vmax4compound.jpg
    IMG00043-20110116-1751[1]vmax4compound.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

Damn dude! Yer gonna need a hood from a Peterbuilt for all of that. Very nice, glad to see yer still drawin air Justin!

This dam animal is inspiring, bar none this is the coolest setup I have ever seen in a max. When and if your done with this sled it should be in a museum for all to google over.

It would be cool to see you reach your goal Justin. Good luck and kick some ass.

P.S you are the KING OF CUSTOM!
G

Here is a picture of the modified hood to fit the both turbos. Skinner (Dave Forkins) and his company Manitowoc Composites originally built the turbo Vmax-4 hood and mold for my sled when it was a large "single" turbo setup (a very awesome and beautiful piece created by Skinner and his crew!!!). My local body shop that does work for me spent 40-hours modifying it to neatly cover the huge monster turbo with the compound setup.

Attachments

• Vmax-4 Mod Hood.jpg
    Vmax-4 Mod Hood.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Kahunas, are there any 1000' radar runs (speed runs) in eastern South Dakota that you attend? I'd like to bring it for a few quick passes seeing its close, or even any in far western Minnesota.

Yes, there are a few, but they are all club run stuff with limited shut down and no shaved ice. If you decide to come, let me know. I can hook you up with a place to stay. I have a lake within 2 miles of me that is like a sheet of glass with very little snow on it. I'm giddy to plow myself a track.

Feel free to post as many pic"s of this animal as you want!
What did you use for hand grips, as it has given me another idea for my project and thanks.some cool stuff you got there.
G

Here is a picture of the sled in launch mode when in was a 121" track and suspension, now it is a 134" and has the molded air dam too:

Attachments

• 292327_412301272145570_1090079778_nspeedrun.jpg
    292327_412301272145570_1090079778_nspeedrun.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 302
Turch, the steering post and bars are one piece that I built out of 7075 aluminum, the whole steering system only weighs 2 pounds. I knurled the grips into the bars on my lathe and used push on end caps to dress it up... it feels real nice.

Last edited:
And more...

with my air dam and Stroud parachute.

Attachments

• 298344_230625803656049_5859064_nchetektesting.jpg
    298344_230625803656049_5859064_nchetektesting.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 293
OK, I vote to make one of these pictures the main picture on the Home page of this web site. The kiddy 120cc hood is cool, but this is awsome!

Anybody got a cigarrett???? Uhhhhh, and a knapkin????

Cuz,,, I ain't gonna need ta get laid fer a month!!

I need a nap,,

opsled

Justin: we are putting on a radar run Feb. 2&3, 1000' track with 2000' shutdown, all shaved by frank, he does a great job, it's on green lake in spicer,mn. about an hour SW of st.cloud, send me a pm and I will give you my cell# so we can talk.

Thank you Steve... I really appreciate it! If you get a chance, PM me your phone number, I've been going to contact you for along time after some of my shop talks with Pat.

Back