Could i run uni filters on my sled

dlvsdh

i have a 92 vmax 4 wits psi quad pipes and dial a jets with a 130 main jet. is it safe for me to run these. has anyone here ran them,

I have never seen them on anything but a drag sled, the stock air-boxes seem to work very well.

Posibly...there has been a member or two that has ran them with no problems..but it`s likely going to take some tuning to have them running right..I`m not sure how much help or hinder the dial a jet system is going to be for tuning these..

anyway, when running pods, you`ll be pulling air from under the hood instead of outside of the hood..so when you first fire up the sled, you`ll be pulling cold air..after the sleds been ran a bit, you`ll be pulling warmer air...and considering how sensitive two strokes are to temp changes, it could probley get interesting jetting on the edge of lean at idle while cold, so it would`nt then be too rich after the motor is warmed up causing it to be a bit rich/flat at idle/launch?

then once that`s figured out/tuned.....you have the high speed under the hood preasures to deal with....vmax 4`s, are already know for creating positive preasure under the hood at higher speeds (dynotect research/sheets show this somewhere on here)....anyway, it has been shown that the air/fuel mix increases with higher speeds, effectively richenning up the mix, and that`s just because the carb vent tubes are located under the hood (air enters the hood quicker then it can exit the hood, creating positive preasure under the hood, which is then transferred to the float bowls VIA the carb vent tubes, which then preasurizes the bowls forcing more fuel through the fuel circuits)...so imagine if the carbs throats/intakes were now also wide open under the hood..there`d be more changes occuring that would likely need attention..
I believe the above is why mainly just straight line drag racers use pods...is because they can quickly rejet on race day & time...but for regular trail riding, it seams pods may not be the best idea?

I know the stock boxes are a pain, but I believe their worth it..

Just my thoughts...

AL P

Last edited:
I used to have problems with the airboxes, but lately I have been taking the tops off so I can get my hands down inside to help line everything up. the coils are only 4 bolts and a few bullet connectors, and the airbox tops come off quite easily. And if your lucky the pull cord side box will slip on easily and then you only have to open up the clutch side box. Much less stress than leaving it all together IMO.

BTW, awesome answer Al.P!

Back