Cracked Crank Case--HELP

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I"m in process of restoring my 93 vmax-4. My plan was to do the suspension this year(Have sent every thing off to Schmidt Brother), and ALSO DO all maintance. Then next year have it painted.... I just turned 2000 miles and sled runs great. When I was changing my gear oil I noticed a small crack at the bottom where the drain plug screws into the bottom crank case. The crack is very small and just at the bottom of the threads(about 1/4 inch max long). Does anyone know what my option are? I pulled the motor yesterday and was planning on bringing it to a guy the specializes in welding aluminum. I'm praying I don't need a new crank case. Has anyone heard of this problem. Any suggestions-----PLEASE HELP!

Did someone overtighten maybe at one time?, I have used JB weld to put sides of motors back together on dirt bikes with no issue as long as it is prepped good and super clean.

I think that's what happen. It looked like the bolt was coated w/ red thread locker and just put back together. I think it was just slightly leaking, but I don't want to put it back together w/ out fixing it the right way.

Repaird cracked case----found a great welder (souther WI area)-----Kand K Percision Welding----Kim is owner and welder. He normally works on airplanes and also is a college welding teacher. He has a hanger @ the East Troy Airport-----(414) 333-6833.

Back