FML, Crank phasing?

Doguero

Hey guys, So i bought my first 92 last week, Awesome shape, All original, no mods and 2800 kms (1740 miles) and the snow is gone now but a few days ago we had a few inches dropped on us. So I couldn't resist and I took it out for a test drive, at first everything seemed to run just fine other than a little bogging at the beginning, I thought I'd better just take the carbs out and go through and give them a good cleaning, I was having a few back fires here and there but then at the end of the night I took it for one last spin, It didn't seem to have near the pull and It was backfiring more, only when you hold it wide open really it sputters and then will take off like a bat out of hell, but again on the last spin it didn't seem to have the git up and go it did when I tried it earlier in the day, The engine was all warmed up and everything. I shut it down and loaded it up and brought it back to my garage. I noticed last night when I got home that one of the plugs was not giving off any spark. Bingo I thought

I decided to check the cylinders TDC and BDC and see if there was any problem with the crank. Well can you guys correct me If I'm wrong but is this the proper way of doing this test? I had gotten 4 straws, numbered each one for each cylinder marked the TDC and BDC for all 4 cylinders. I put Cylinder 1 from the clutch side to TDC. Cylinder 2 was at BDC, and Cylinder 3 and 4 are to both be exactly even at the midway stroke? Because if so then I think I might be #$%@ed. They were not really even at all but they weren't out by a huge amount. I was reading that some people were saying before you absolutely go through with thinking it's a crank. Be sure to rock and shake the engine and see if it changes where the cylinders are at all. I'm going to do this as soon as I get home tonight but I'm praying this isn't the case. What a piss off and disappointment if it is, Like I said they werent out by a huge amount but cylinder 3 and 4 definitely were not even.

Also from looking down just through the valve head cylinder 4 seems to be a lot more wet than the rest of the cylinders

Thanks gentlmen

This thread can be deleted by anyone with access, I jumped the gun a little too soon I guess thankfully, I got a depth guage and tried it about 5 times and I rocked the sled back and forth this time and my measurements are much, much better than what I first had. Everything looks like it is where it's supposed to be and I had also changed the plugs and cleaned up the carbs and now she's purring like one BAMF of a machine

Back