Gas Burner

Brian Osmond

New vmax four owner with ridiculous gas consumption. Estimate 1 gallon per hour!!!!! Need some direction on jetting or other easy things to check. Help required before i go broke putting gas in this beast. P.S suspect running too rich machine really boggy on initial thottle, poor throttle response at idle to 1/4 throttle.

If your only going through 1 gallon per hour you must be driving pretty slow. LOL My sled goes through a gallon per hour just idling. Suggest you introduce yourself to everyone and provide more details of your sled. year, mods etc.

One gallon per hour, that's like eight hours (Canadian) per tank! Man I don't think I've ever gone that long LOL.

one gallon per hour, that's only 10mph. I easily burn a tank in 2-3 hours,thats mulitiple gallons per hour. you should post what year sled and your jetting, and mods as suggested earlier. There is no doubt these machines enjoy a drink. Just think in terms of smiles per gallon, it makes it easier. sorry to whomever i stole that quote from.

Sorry guys if I'm coming off as a gas meiser but 80 miles on two tanks of gas? I love this machine and I think it can do better. Stock 1996 vmax four with no mods whatsoever.I'm going at it tonight to check for stock jets, needle settings, choke plungers etc...Previous owner changed jetting but could not tell me more. Remember no snap of the line extremely boggy(unable to even spin the track) until the revs are 4500rpm or so. This week-end was my first trip with this sled so I installed new plugs NGK B9ES. Curious as to the correct gap because I don't have a service manual yet.The conditions of the day of trip was -5 deg Celcius at 500FT ASL.

If you go to the top of the page and click the "tech area" and then go to page five toward the bottom you'll find the manual for down load. Also check into "YAMMIEGOD's clutching setups, you want to start out at 4500rpm not be waiting for it. I can get 80 miles on one tank or burn it in two or three hours like Rustman just for comparison.

Oh and while you have the air boxes open Brian check the white tabs on the plastic couplers in there. They can brake off and get sucked into the engine NOT GOOD. I recommend just braking them off and get rid just to be safe.

seema obvious,but check for leaks.the lines from the pumps to the carbs tend to shink and leak with age.

I got about 7 mpg out of mine on the trails. Ported 880 kit with bored carbs and quad pipes. I was sweating to make it to the next gas stop.

Does anyone have pics of the infamous white tabs and where you break them off??
I have pulled 4 of my air boxes apart and have not seen a single white tab yet....
Jst want to be sure I am looking at the right thing... or not looking at it.. LOL!!

Here are some pics of the white tabs. You can see that mine were cracked and ready to break off.

Attachments

• White Tabs 001.jpg
    White Tabs 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 133
  • White Tabs 002.jpg
    White Tabs 002.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 133
  • White Tabs 003.jpg
    White Tabs 003.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 134
  • White Tabs 004.jpg
    White Tabs 004.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 131
  • White Tabs 005.jpg
    White Tabs 005.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 131
  • White Tabs 006.jpg
    White Tabs 006.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 132
  • White Tabs 007.jpg
    White Tabs 007.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 131
  • White Tabs 008.jpg
    White Tabs 008.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 132
Thank you!!
Guess I have to dig deeper, I thought they were in the airbox themselves.....
Back to the garage I go!!!

Bubba...

I agree Rustman, they can cause catasrophic damage. But it is such a bitch to mount the air boxes properly without them. I bought new ones a couple years ago but after 2 years they got fatigued and I removed them.

Hey guys just got the carbs on the bench and I have stock jets Mains are 143.8 and the pilots are 47.5. Middle groove set on the needles. I'm going for one move on each. Main down to 142.5, Pilots 45 and one groove higher on the needle. Just sharing my info in case I'm flying blind.Any other suggestions? Thanks on the tip regarding the air box tabs I'll bust-em out tonight.

You could go down to 133.8 mains like i have mine and run YAMMIGODS clutch set up.I also run the 47.5 pilots and my needles in the stock position.

You could go down to 133.8 mains like i have mine and run YAMMIGODS clutch set up.I also run the 47.5 pilots and my needles in the stock position.

No way not on a 800 that you are trail running!! If you are boy you need to be careful, 500 feet at a time

Back