gear

Robs96max4

why will my chain not work on the 1 gear in the bottom pic? top 1 is 24/37 17 wide, bottom pic is 21 15 wide and 37 17 wide..

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 103
  • sled 1.jpg
    sled 1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 103

TWO DEFFERENT SIZE GEARS BUD. KEEP IN MIND THE 800,s USED 18 WIDE, 93-94 USED 15 WIDE, 92 USED 13 WIDE. MUST HAVE CORRECT CHAIN FOR GEAR. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Tony he is using it for grass and I thought you could shim the smaller gear and run it in the bigger chain..

JOSH, WHATS THERE TOO SHIM IN THAT SECOND PICTURE. DON,T FIT. WRONG CHAIN FOR THAT GEAR. I NEVER EVER RAN TWO DEFFERENT SIZES GEARS IN ANY OF MY SLEDS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

we thought we could have shimmed it on the spline so the gear would run in the middle of the chain, but the gear doesn't seem to line up with the links..

I only thought there was two kinds of chains made, the regular style and hyvo style. I was told back in the day that you could run the 15 wide gear in the 17 chain as they are the same chain just with 2 more links. Rob if you cant make it work get ahold of me and I will get you back your money.

sure, I will be in my shop tonight if you want to swing by but it wont be until after 9:30.

i would have liked to meet you and have a beer but i do want to get this thing back together, ya sure the same spot and i will leave the 21..cheers

im surprised that didnt work. did you try a shorter chain? Im not sure its the width causing stress but the length of the chain. I think the 24/37 used a 70 link chain and earlier gearing combos used a 68 linker.

me and a buddy tried it last night in the sled and it was still binding, so i looked at the gear chart and it shows it will work with 35 driven gear with a 68L or a 39 driven with a 70L.. i can see how it would work with the larger bottom gear because the chain wouldn't make contact with so many teeth on the top compared to having the 37 on the bottom, hope this makes sence..lol.. anyways just got in with the 23 thanks Josh..

Back