Going Asphalt Racing in 2 Weeks. Have Some Questions

vollender

I am testing my 1995 800 in two weeks for the first time, cant wait. I have some questions on what to look for.

It is a 1995 800st, all stock, stock pipes, blue Hauck primery spring and silver seconday spring.

What is max rpm
what should be egt temps to look for
and any thing else to look for.

All the help has been great from all the people on this site, I am not sure if it would have gone down the track without all of the info that was given to me.

Thanks Ray

Gears...22/39
Primary Spring...WSW
@3500-3700 RPM Engaement
Straight 47 deg..Helix
Silver Sec. spring at @ 80' twist
A lot of duck tape on the nose cone and pipe vents on hood..You will be suprised how much et and speed you pick up by just doing that..You should run between 10.70 - @ 10.90 at @ 115-119 mph.. This is a good baseline...

Also..
8BU weights loaded...
start with stock jetting and come down very little at a time..1/4 mile is a long way..
Never in my life ran egt's...
just read plugs..

You won't have any 60' with a 37 bottom gear.
maybe 23/39 if you could fit it..
My best 60' with a stocker was 1.55

What are you doing for suspension setup? You should have NO weight transfer. If you do, you will be looking at the sky. Suck that limiter strap up as far as you can get it.

I have my original skid I built out of a polaris indy ultra, the rear shock has about 1" travel in it and the front I put old clutch springs around tubes and pre loaded them a little.

Thanks Ray

TWO THINGS I WILL SUGEST TO YA. TAKE ALL INFO HERE YOU GET AND BE PREPARED TO TEST WHAT WORKS BEST. SECOND LIKE MIKE POSTED, ASPHALT RACING TAKES BETTER SUSPENSION SET-UP THAN ANY OTHER FORM OF SNOWMOBILE RACING BECAUSE YOUR 60 ft TIME IS SO INPORTANT.
MAXX RPM SHOULD BE 8350.
IF YOUR RUNNING 1/4 I WOULD RUN 23/37 GEARING
START WITH 135 MAINS.
RUN HAUCK BLUE SPRING WITH THE 8BU WEIGHTS. WHAT HELIX,s YOU HAVE ? 3:16 (yammie tony)

I have 24/37 gears, I have not come across a 23 yet. I did put 135 mains in today. I will have the Hauck blue spring this week and it has the 8BU weights. I have the 41 degree helix.

I ran it up and down the road and it felt great, and then I get the knock on the door, the Police my bitchy nabor called the cops on me. It must really suck when your biggest worry is a snowmobile running up and down the street.

Any way I will run it at the track from now on buyt I could not wait to see what it felt like.

What should I be looking for on my suspention, I have never got to race with another sled to see what they have doon on there suspention every thing I have done is from the net.

I also have notaced on problem on the belt, after I have run it and then sit at idle the belt will sqill. I have not had clutch apart and am having trouble getting dealer to want to work on it. The belt that is on it is the one that was on it when I bought it. I have not been able to buy a new belt yet. Also how high should the belt sit out of the secondary.

Thanks Ray

Your belt (a good belt) should sit out of the secondary as high as you can get it without making it sqeal. If it is squealing, it is too tight and you need to adjust your belt deflection until it doesn't squeal.

First, go down to the adult toy store and by the bitchy neighbor a big rubber playtoy so she has something to do while you are testing!
Did you check your center to center? Did you check your clutch offset? These are very important. Blueprint the chassis (I think there is a post in the tech section with instructions) this will give you a bunch of free horsepower. If you have the stock suspention, pull the front limiters up as high as you can get them. Wind the rear shock as tight as you can. Make sure the front end is lowered with 2 inches of remaining travel either by a Bender lowereing kit or cut the struts and use external springs. If you can't find anyone to help you with your clutch, send it to me and I will go through it and set it up for you. Have a great day!

Found my notes..
22/37 gearing...
The only problem I had tho is I twisted the splines on my drive shaft..

Back