Got a 92 now trying to get it to run good

ThSimpson

The clutch does not engage till about 4000 rpm. It jumps out good till it hits about 45 or so @ 8000 or so RPM then it drops RPM and drops off to about 30 or so and does not pickup again, will maintain about 25 or 30.It like it hits a wall and then runs out of power, while decreasing speed. I can hold it a 1/2 throttle and if runs and sounds good at 35 or so, if I goose it it bogs down and sometimes backfires. Pulled plugs Left side had top end redone, plugs brown. Right side one plug brown/black the other white ( to does spark, found a chunk of junk in that carb when I cleaned them)
Should it rap at 8000 and only go 40/45??

Pulled crabs still stock with the 50 jet in it.

So.......is it a carb problem or a clutch problem or box or sell it to the next MORON (Anybody coming down I80 to go to WY or CO????).:2tongue:
Where should I start?????

Have you checked engine compression? Have you checked the rear clutch to see if it opening correctly, as well as the primary. Is it an OEM belt, what are in it for mains? Have you changed plugs? Are all carb boots tight? Also didnt you already start a thread with the exact same problem. Does it always backfire on the same side? Is it backfiring on the lean side? Are all cylinders getting hot when its running? What are your fuel adjustment screws set at? When did it run right last? Chances are if this thing was being used in the mountains then that rear clutch got overworked and is now failing, if it was stuck all the time the belts are most likely worn out, perhaps a compression problem from goosing it too much and overheating when stuck. What is the gearing? Have pipes been added or still have the stock ones? Has all gas been drained, how much gas in the tank now? What kind of shape are the fuel lines in? Any leaks? Pulse lines, goes to crank case from fuel pumps, and blockages in the exhaust circuit, where was the sled stored before you got it? Check the wiring harness for pinches, rubthroughs, corrosion, especially near the hood hinges and the steering stem. Well theres a start.

-Rustman

The clutch does not engage till about 4000 rpm. It jumps out good till it hits about 45 or so @ 8000 or so RPM then it drops RPM and drops off to about 30 or so and does not pickup again, will maintain about 25 or 30.It like it hits a wall and then runs out of power, while decreasing speed. I can hold it a 1/2 throttle and if runs and sounds good at 35 or so, if I goose it it bogs down and sometimes backfires. Pulled plugs Left side had top end redone, plugs brown. Right side one plug brown/black the other white ( to does spark, found a chunk of junk in that carb when I cleaned them)
Should it rap at 8000 and only go 40/45??

Pulled crabs still stock with the 50 jet in it.

So.......is it a carb problem or a clutch problem or box or sell it to the next MORON (Anybody coming down I80 to go to WY or CO????).:2tongue:
Where should I start?????

there`s a plug reading white right now??

"Should it rap at 8000 and only go 40/45??[/".....Steady? are you saying, it`ll hold 8000rpms steady..yet you only go about 45mph and never increase?? if so, i can`t help but think that would have to be a clutch problem...
perhaps, you have a clutch and carb issue??

Have you grabbed the secondary, and rotated it to be sure noting is siezed, like a wheel bearing, or something along those lines? (with the rear of the sled propped up)

Last edited:
The plug that is reading white had a floater/black something in it.

Dead stop gun it, jumps to 40/45 hits 8000RPM. Then is it steadyly drops RPM and power.

Will check secondary tomarrow

I found the main the main wire that goes up the hood melted togeather behind the heat shield, today.

Will check all these things out tomarrow.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.

THOM SIMPSON

Back