Hello Boys and Girls Im Back

SRTCummins

Well im back, if you guys didn't forget I had a long long thread about seizing one of my pistons and everyone got on my ass about it. but anyways as I left off a year ago:

I could not get the vmax to idle correctly, Choke off/ idles very poor, Choke on/ idles like a dream. This didn't happen before the rebuild but after the rebuild I went riding up north (Cadillac, Michigan) and my father connected the radiator hose very bad and coolant eventually escaped and the engine locked again but freed up afterwards. Drove it another 4 hours no problem till my speed went and I started getting a rather unpleasant jerking when I got on it.

I was told it was the bearing and gear, but I do not know where these are. If anybody could tell me how to hand my carbs and possibly this gear that is causing it to skip teeth I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
nick

Pilot jets are clogged is idle problem. Speedo bearing is bad on axle causing track to ratchet. Clean carbs and replace bearing.
The bearing is located under the secondary clutch. Follow your speedometer cable.

Last edited:
Aw yes, you my friend are totally unforgettable and now we're back where we started. Everybody got on your ass because you wouldn't listen
1.Throw your jets in the garbage and just put new ones in
2. Check to make sure your track is just not loose
3. If its a 750 your jackshaft that's connected to the secondary is a 2 piece, it couples near the chain case. Move your secondary back and forth to see if the splines on the jackshaft aren't worn.
4. Make sure your speedo key is not just broken and if it is, check the bearing
5. Now lets see if you can listen this time lol
Good luck with your sled and if you have more questions just ask.

It's a 95, so an 800. I remember this one well.

Replace all the bearings in the driveline, if your track is not just loose. You will need the jackshaft bearing, found behind secondary. All bearings and seals in the chaincase, drive axle bearing, found behind the speedometer housing. Like mentioned earlier, follow your speedo cable. Make sure carbs are spotlessly clean, this will mean removing all jets, floats, needles and seats. It is pointless to take the bowls off blow some air around and call er good. Check all carb connections, boots, fuel lines for air leaks. Check all lines going to and from fuel pumps for leaks and or bad connections. Check airbox boots for poor installation or cracks/leaks. While your at it, it would be a good time to repalce any worn or blown out bearings/wheels in the skid. It will have to come out anyways to make changing the speedo bearing easier. I am sure it could be done with skid in sled but sure seems like it would be a pain in the ass. First though make sure your track just isnt loose, lift the back end up and if the track is sagging away from skid rails more than an inch or so it is too loose.

You could read the manual in the tech section. There is also a pictorial on cleaning the carbs on the forum. Also, you will just have to start taking apart to learn. Take many pics as you disassemble and put all nuts, bolts, parts etc in zip loc bags and label with a magic marker.
Part number 8 is the speedo bearing in the exploded parts diagram. Synching the
Carbs is setting all carb slides so they open and close the same distance.

Last edited:
Did you remove the gas tank and clean it? Replace the fuel filter? Replace
The fuel lines? For sure, if it only idles with choke on it is dirty carbs. Do not ride sled
In that condition. Clean again. Like Turch said, just get new jets. Make sure floats arent stuck.

Back