How can I tell if My cylinders are Chrome Bore?

MountainMax

I have a change to buy a set of reconditioned SRX440 cylinders and they are not sleeved, So they could be two coatings, Chrome bore or Nickasil, how can i tell the difference, I need to know as I am going to get rings to make them work, and they both take different types of rings. How can I tell????????

I have only had my motor apart 1 time thank god,All I noticed is that niether cylinder wall had been dammaged when I ran her out of antifreze(water pump failure).There was only small amounts of deposits which came off with a stone cylinder hone (LOW SPEED)doust in oil to minimize cutting into walls.Realy nice and clean not quite shiney like CHROME would be on your bumpers.I have a Sleeved set I'm not useing one of them is questionable.Where they cut to fit in the sleeve they knocked off the old skirting which would help support the wall on bottom stroke.I dont think its unuseable I would have to post a picture and get oppinion.They are .040 overbore and they guy I bought that sled from blew it up,So it is still in pieces and used for parts when needed.I have the whole motor and reconditioned cylinders but I think I want to hold on to them.If you need parts RECLIESURE SPORTS in MI has a piston they sell that comes with all you need,PISTON,Cage,Pin,Cir clips,Rings one price.It would cost with the gasket set about $140 to rebuild that motor.

Last edited:
rob why dont you just have your current cylinders bored? there iron bore right? probably cheaper than getting new cylinders that may or may not have the porting you need.

I dont think you can bore the SRX cylinders without sleeving them,I may be wrong.My local guy sends them out and I think but not sure it was going to be around 200 per cylinder for me.This is why I located a reconditioned set in case I need to rebuild another motor.
MY 2$ not gossipal

BUBS SRX said:
I dont think you can bore the SRX cylinders without sleeving them,I may be wrong.My local guy sends them out and I think but not sure it was going to be around 200 per cylinder for me.This is why I located a reconditioned set in case I need to rebuild another motor.
MY 2$ not gossipal

rob has a set of iron sleeved cylinders that he just stuck a piston in thats why i was sugesting he bore them over a size instead of buying more cylinders.

I see,already sleeved he should be able to overbore in that case.I was under the impression it was stock bore.

Back