Jetting Questions, 700 Redhead

NH Boondockin

Hi Guys, I've seemingly been stumping everyone at all the forums with this one so I'll ask around here and see what you all think?

How tight are the tolerance on jet needle clip position? I have a 2002 Mtn Max 700 and moved up to NH and into a different jetting table. Well Sort of. My wife and I have the house, we're moving stuff in and staying there on weekends but won't be near the house again until spring because......my son comes the end of february.

Right now I'm jetted 145/143/8/143.8 which yamaha says is "standard" jetting from 0-3500'. Obviously by looking at the jetting chart you can tell that there are many other options to play with to fine tune the jetting. The new house is at 700' and anywhere else I go will be up BUT I'm bringing the sled down to our apartment in Mass because there are some state parks I can sneak off to and ride at once the baby is here. Right now Mass is having a great snow year so I don't want to miss is.

Now here is the big questions that I've not been able to get any feedback for. The jet needles are the best way to tune the sled for midrange, and 3 years ago when I bought the sled I raised the needles to 3.5 from 3.0 for ethanol fuel. I've been running rich and want to drop them back down. I am in the zone for 2.5 everywhere at the house in NH. Down in Mass I'm on the boarder between 2.5 and 3.0. I obviously won't be riding at anything below zero, but how tight is that tolerance to needle clip position?

I want to go to 2.5 and not leave it unless the plugs are telling me otherwise, how much leeway is there to there position? When down in Mass below 300' I will still be jetted rich, and the needles at 2.5 would be lean, but how critical is that? Can I even ride it or what?

attachment.php

The blue boxes are what I'm considering for jetting next year once we've moved full time. Leaning towards the -20 for 1700-3300' as it will cover me everywhere.

Thanks Guys!

Your a little bit all over the map here on this one. Jetting chart should go from 0- 1500, from 1500- 3500, at least here (Manitoba) it does. There's no gain unless your racing to lean it out. Get factory recommended jetting numbers and run those. My son owns an SXR 700 that's running all stock jetting and is clutched very well and halls the mail. Don't waste your time looking for a horsepower or two in the jetting. Work on the clutch

Did the jetting charts change somewhere along the way? I bought the 2001 sx redhead manual from Ty and thats where the chart came from. I think I have my clutching pretty good, did it by myself for the first time.

What do you think? I know I'm a little short on RPM, I took .9g out of the tip rivets and got her up to 8500 on overshoot, 8300 while shifting out but I didn't get a chance to take a video of that yet. I want to pull my weights and balance them again. I used a harbor freight scale which got me close but want to do it again with my RCBS powder scale I just didn't happen to have with me at the time. The primary has a little clatter now so I figure I might as well precision balance them all to the lightest one.

Clutching is: 8CR weights 4.5 heel 3.6 tip, w-g-w primary spring, green secondary spring at 70 with a 8FA00 51/43 RX-1 progressive helix. 20/39 gearing. 151" challenger 2 track.

Back