lug size

1grindking

:smilies-9im ready to put new track on 92vmax4 & been thinkin 1-1/4 would be gr8 cuz thats what i had on my 99sx 700 & it wrked gr8 but now i have herd from a few dif pepole that its not gona fit the lugs are to tall? is this true or is there something i can do to make it fit cuz i have seen pic of other members with deep lugs on there tracks :smilies-9

Check out this post: http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2779&highlight=1+1/4+lugs

I've had a 1" lug track on mine for years with no problems. It looks like some of the taller lug tracks are notched out from the factory to clear the heat exchangers, some you have to notch out by hand. I'm getting cramps in my hands just thinking about that! There have probably been improvements in the taller lug track design since this was posted.

Shark

I have a 1 1/4 ripsaw on mine, had to drop rear suspension bolts in tunnel 3/4 inch along with the Idler shaft at top of tunnel. seems to be fine so far, but I only have 11 kms on it , and have not run through any moguls yet.

well its good to hear that it works i have been doing my homework on this site & asking around & i just had an x10 instaled so i hope that dont make it worse & im not sure if he dropped the rear bolt or not

Last edited:
Hey Mark, Do you have studs on that 1" lugged track? I have a 1" lug and was wondering if anyone else is running one with studs.

Yes, I'll never run without studs again. I blew a track several years ago while on a trip with a bunch of guys for a week. I put on a stock track but there wasn't any electricity at the cabin we were staying at, so I couldn't drill it to put studs in right away. The Vmax-4 can be a scary ride at times, but it was a real thrill ride without studs. :3speechle:3speechle:3speechle I studded it shortly after I got home. It's been awhile, but I believe I've got 240 studs in it. Half are Stud Boy's, the other half is an off brand that I got a lot cheaper that hold up just as well. I think they're 1.187 length, but I'll try to remember to take a better look when I'm out in the trailer later today.

Shark

I was out in the trailer today and my track is studded with 1.187" Stud Boy Powerpoints, and 1.150" Extreme Max stainless steel studs. I haven't bent or broken a stud yet, and the Extreme Max studs were a lot cheaper. If you stud your track using metal backer plates, be sure and round off the sharp edges on the backer plates or they can cut your track. They're usually stamped metal and they don't take the sharp edges off. When I blew my track, I saved all of the studs and backers and my track was full of square cuts where the metal had damaged it.

Shark

Thanks Mark! I just ordered my tunnel protectors and the skid and track are out. I'll start the studding process.

Back