Malinoski won at Brainerd!

they finaly beat some 600cc 2 strokes with a 1000cc 4-stroke. I dont think thats anything to be proud of, as a matter of fact I'd be embarrased to be the guy that won.

Where do ya see that it is a 1000cc motor??

Not lookin to argue, just curious where the specs are listed for these race sleds?:2dontknow

Rob, I havent seen the specs. Maybe its more than 1,000cc. I do believe that a 4 stroke sled might be the answer for some people, but they should race in their own class, and stop pushing all this bs about less maintenence and crap. I'd like to see 2-strokes around for another 20 years. And the crap about 2-strokes being old technology is bullshit too. the model t had a 4 stroke. what about the steam engine that our nuclear subs use. 2 stroke technology has only begun and their trying to put an end to it already.

They list on the Yamaha website that it is a Phazer FX chassis with a 3 cyl engine on it (973cc), so actually it has less advantage what 4-strokes have in MX.

Ike

Hey Nate, I was thinking that the motor was actually smaller.
I agree as far as classifications, to be fair, it should be similar cc against similar cc. Thats why I was curious as to what the cc is on the 3 cylinder 4 stroke they were running in that race.

Now the argument of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, well...............
I am a fan of 2 stokes for sure & have no plans to leave the 2 stroke family.

But, the technology that has been developed by Yammie to make these 4 strokes so strong & viable in a sled is impressive to say the least, IMHO.
As far as long term maintanence, I gotta believe that they are onto something. While there are a ton more internal parts, they should last a long, long time. Look at our cars,trucks, etc etc. All 4 stokes........hmmmmmmmmm.
I got almost 180,000 miles on 2 of my Explorer's, 160,000 on an old F250 4X4,
etc. I think Yammie is smart to be on the leading edge to what will be forced on the industry by the "goody 2 shoes" of the world. There is lots of pressure regarding the emissions & noise factor. If this helps our sport stay out of the "bulls eye" of these zealots, that is good for us. It is just a matter of a few more years before all sled mfgr.s will be forced to comply with the standards that can only be met by 4 strokes and Yammie will have the technolgy & engineering done-proven & runnin while the others will be playing "catch up".

Hey, this conversion-progress thing is as bad as NASCAR letting Toyota in racing with a fricking Camry :cussing: or, the new COT Car of Tomorrow, all gonna be like one big IROC race soon!!!!! Now there is a real crapper IMHO !!!

Hopefully for us with the "old iron" 2 strokers, we will get grandfathered in some special "vintage" class when this happens in a few years huh??:4fzfpi:

What´s wrong with Camry? The only US made car I think.

Toyota will probably put so much $$ in the Nascar series, that other teams are in trouble... That is bad.

Ike

Ford and Chevy Imports!!

Well guys here are some FACTS - not just emotion. The most used Chevy (GM) engine the 3.1-3.5 liter V-6 that is used in ALL GM products is made in ........... China !!
Many ...many GM & Fords that are made in Mexico or have their major sub- assemblies made overseas actually makes these cars with FAR MORE FORGIEN CONTENT than the Hondas/Toyotas/Nissans that are made in USA/Canada.
When a US interviewer was asking a Chinese industrialist why China was flooding the US with their products causing a huge negative balence of trade, the Chinese man replied saying that only 22% of all products were actually Chinese - the rest are American products that American Corporations send to China to be made and are then shipped back to the US so these guys make a fortune. Its our own people that are putting it to us guys - don't blame the Chinese !!!!

racerrob said:
Where do ya see that it is a 1000cc motor??

Not lookin to argue, just curious where the specs are listed for these race sleds?:2dontknow

he is riding a FX NYtro that engine is a modified 1050 CC engine

HP VS CC

vmax4rules said:
They race by HP now instead of CC's

Yes they do and it wasn't Yamaha's 4 strokes that started it. It's been going on for quite some time now and in most places they actually compare HP to weight when setting up classes. Try bringing a stock 77 SRX to a sanctioned drag racing event where the factory "big boy's" are racing and see if they will let you run it in the 440 class against their new 440 race sleds (good luck). If they let you race at all it will probably be in the 500 or 600 mod class and they will give you all kinds of excuses as to why. Polaris, Ski Doo, and Arctic Cat started this Bull S!!! so their new machines wouldn't get spanked at their sponsered events by 20+ year old Hot Rods. Now that Yamaha has brought a 4 stroke (O My God No!!!) to the show and is now beating them at their own game everbody is crying (Foul). I think it's funny and if Yamaha want's to push the issue and win with a 4 stroke they will. Yamaha is a bigger corporation than all the others put together and the only thing they can do to stop them is change the rules again and outlaw 4 strokes. Yamaha has been pushing the envelope for decades and it has forced ALL the manufacturers to make a better product. Go back in history and look at all the inovations Yamaha came up with that are standard equipment on all sleds today. Just think if Yamaha had never gotten into snowmobiles you might be still running a sled with a 600cc Hirth stuck between your legs with point ignition and mixing gas. The bottom line is that Yamaha didn't make the HP VS CC rules but they are using them to beat the slackers in this industry that can't keep up. I say Good For You Yamaha.
Phil, (opsled)

Back