Max Track Height

tyler540

i hate to do this but i didnt see it for sure anywhere and im tired of looking....

what is the tallest track you can put on the stock suspension and still run studs with out them hitting?

That opinion seems to vary slightly, The stock track was something like 5/8 or 1/2 inch, and most peeps run a 3/4 to 7/8 inch stud in them with much problems, aslong as the track was propperly adjusted. I have a ~7/8 inch on mine now, with 1 inch studs (I belive it is anyway) and I have had no problems at all. The 1.25 inch track stuff will usally have to be trimmed where the tunnel coolers are so they dont rub, but that will pretty much kill anything for studs that would be longer than the track. Now if you swap a newer proaction or rx1 skid into it, you have to move where the skid is anyway, and can adjust for as big a track as you want to run!

i hate to do this but i didnt see it for sure anywhere and im tired of looking....

what is the tallest track you can put on the stock suspension and still run studs with out them hitting?

I belive 1inch is the tallest for also running studs..

Here`s a thread I found..i glanced through the first couple pages, and did`nt see much about track hieght with studs..but its probley in there somewhere..everything else seams to be..LOL
http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2779-Tallest-lug-track-with-stock-suspension

Last edited:
I talked to Pat Hauck about it a few weeks ago, and 1 inch is as big as you can go on stock suspension without problems (i.e. hitting the tunnel).

alright cool... ill be keeping my eye out for a take-off 1" track this summer then.... i assume with that i can still put 1.25 studs on it? if not then i guess illl have to go 3/4 track and 1" studs

No, 1 inch is the max on either track or studs, otherwise you start digging into heat exchangers when you hit bumps

aaaa damn... 3/4" track doesnt seam like much to put the power to the ground with these monsters... i might also have to keep my eyes open for a different skid

I have .920 tracks with 1.075 studs on both of my V4's with no clearance issues here, I am running the 600XT/GYT style skids though.

I ran 1.25 with 1.325 studs on my 93 with the stock suspension. never had a problem with lugs rubbing, but had to move some studs to avoid hitting. not an opinion thats fact

The Camoplast Predator 1" 6-pitch fully clipped was recommended to me. I now run this track on three sleds and it's a good choice.

I always thought it would be cool to try and retofit a set of the newer running board heat exchangers to a Vmax-4. It would stiffen the chassis and give a lot more clearance for a taller lug track. So who's going to give it a try?

Attachments

• 17NOV08 VMAX-4 017.jpg
    17NOV08 VMAX-4 017.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 155
ive got a camoplast ice ripper coming for my sled it is 15x121x1.25 with little car studs on it... ill let you know how close it is when i get it installed...

yeah i got my track and suspension in lastnight... i have about 1 finger width between the track and the heat exchanger... (so like 1/2inch) and from what i can see over an inch at the bulk head.... now ill have to wait and see how much the track balloons when i get spinning at 80mph hahaha its looking good but i still have my fingers crossed...

keep it on the tight side and you should be ok.did you compress the suspension all the way to the stops and check the clearance at the rear exchanger?

ive got 8 miles on it with the track.... we had a few inches of snow around christmas but not we only have a dusting.... i havent had any issues, and i have had it going 90 across a field so i think ill be alright... now im not sure if that it is mentioned in this post or not but i have a 03 proaction plus from a viper

Back