New Quads - first setup

zachalyse

I added PSI quads to my 800. Per the opinions on this board, with knowledge of my altitude, I did not make any jetting changes. I've purchased the 49/43 and green spring but haven't added them.

I'm heading north in a few days and I'm kind of nervous about jetting. Should I really be safe with stock setup? I don't have the time to change any tip weights. Should I still go ahead and add the helix and spring or keep it stock?

I dont see the humor in what I said?????? I was serious send them to me!!!! Oh now I get it your laughing at me agreeing with Tony... I know but sometimes you have to say WTF..... and throw caution into the wind... Now back to serious matters send the PSI 800 quads to me.....LOL

None of these replies have helped me or answered any of my questions. Quads are on. I didn't put them on to just take them back off.

Answers to the questions would be appreciated.

No helpful answers here. Pipes are on.

Answers to my questions would be appreciated.

Tony, your prior posts are what led me to staying with stock jetting and purchasing helix and green spring. Just trying to get second opinions. Telling me to take the psi's off does not help my situation.

THE PSI ISSUE HAS BEEN CRUSHED BEYOND DEATH HERE. YOU WANT ME TO TELL YA WHAT TO RUN ? OK, I,LL BE HONEST HERE. OK. NOT BASHING.
RUN YOUR 8BU WEIGHT.
ADD 17.2 RIVET IN TIP. 17.2 ALREADY IN INNER.
HAUCKS BLUE SPRING
49-43 CAM WITH STOCK SILVER SPRING
WIND YOUR SECONDARY UP TO 110. OR 9/2
MUST PULL 86-8800 RPM, BUT YOU MUST ADD WEIGHT TO PRIMARY FOR ADDED HP.
RUN 132.5 MAINS
MUST RUN 110 RACE /GAS WITH PUMP PREM. MIXED ( GO OVER TO TY AND READ ABOUT THE BURN DOWN ISSUES THIS YEAR ).
GAS IS WORSE THAN EVER.
NOW WITH THIS SAID, I KNOW YOU DON,T WANT TO DO ANYTHING I JUST POSTED. SO RUN YOUR PSI QUADS WITH STOCK / SAFE JETTING OR HIGHER 143.8, RUN THE CLUTCH SET-UP I GAVE, JUST INCRESE SECONDARY TWIST. 3:16 (yammie tony)

NOW WITH THIS SAID, I KNOW YOU DON,T WANT TO DO ANYTHING I JUST POSTED. SO RUN YOUR PSI QUADS WITH STOCK / SAFE JETTING OR HIGHER 143.8, RUN THE CLUTCH SET-UP I GAVE, JUST INCRESE SECONDARY TWIST. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Thank you. That's all I was looking for. Both questions answered in one sentence.

DUDE, YOU TOOK A GOOD PIECE OF ADVISE THE WRONG WAY. UNLESS YOUR ON THE RACE TRACK WITH YOUR VMAX 4, I DON,T RECOMEND ANYBODY RUNNING QUADS FOR EVERYDAY USE. SORRY, GAS TODAY IS TO IFFY UNLESS YOUR WILLING TO USE SOME 110, ITS VERY COSTLY FOR REBUILD. LIKE I POSTED ABOVE, ENGINE FAILURE AT A ALARMING RATE OVER AT TY. 3:16 (yammie tony)
IF YOU RUN RICH JETTING WITH YOUR QUADS , YOU WILL SEE NO HP GAINS. SORRY ITS A FACT. BUT YOU ALSO WON,T HAVE ANY ISSUES. THESE PIPES NEED TO GET HOT TO PRODUCE POWER. IF YOUR MOTOR RICH AND SAFE, THEY WILL BE NO BETTER THAN STOCK. THAN WHATS THE POINT ? JUST A OPINION HERE. THEY LOOK COOL, SOUND COOL, etc. BUT THERE IS NO POWER ADDED. SO WHATS ONE TO DO. STILL TRY AND USE GOOD FUEL, AND JET SAFE, WATCH WASH AND PLUG COLOR. LEAVE THE EXTRA PONIES ON THE TABLE , BETTER THAN TAKING MOTOR APART FOR REBUILD.

Last edited:
Sorry I took things the wrong way, but in all the time I've been researching and putting the effort into adding quads, this is the very first time that someone told me I would have no gain as a trail friendly sled. If this is so, than why did they even make trail version quads? What's the sense?

They sure do sound good and the sled sure does feel to have more grunt since adding them.

like yammiegod just got done posting bro, gas was higher octane and you could jet down. now you cant get hi test unless you mix race gas . it is just that simple. if you dont run fat jetting with today's junk gas with these pipes plan on spending the big bucks to rebuild your engine. if you use the race/pump gas mix then jet down and read plugs,you will see hp gains and it will live.

Last edited:
DUDE, YOU TOOK A GOOD PIECE OF ADVISE THE WRONG WAY. UNLESS YOUR ON THE RACE TRACK WITH YOUR VMAX 4, I DON,T RECOMEND ANYBODY RUNNING QUADS FOR EVERYDAY USE. SORRY, GAS TODAY IS TO IFFY UNLESS YOUR WILLING TO USE SOME 110, ITS VERY COSTLY FOR REBUILD. LIKE I POSTED ABOVE, ENGINE FAILURE AT A ALARMING RATE OVER AT TY. 3:16 (yammie tony)
IF YOU RUN RICH JETTING WITH YOUR QUADS , YOU WILL SEE NO HP GAINS. SORRY ITS A FACT. BUT YOU ALSO WON,T HAVE ANY ISSUES. THESE PIPES NEED TO GET HOT TO PRODUCE POWER. IF YOUR MOTOR RICH AND SAFE, THEY WILL BE NO BETTER THAN STOCK. THAN WHATS THE POINT ? JUST A OPINION HERE. THEY LOOK COOL, SOUND COOL, etc. BUT THERE IS NO POWER ADDED. SO WHATS ONE TO DO. STILL TRY AND USE GOOD FUEL, AND JET SAFE, WATCH WASH AND PLUG COLOR. LEAVE THE EXTRA PONIES ON THE TABLE , BETTER THAN TAKING MOTOR APART FOR REBUILD.

Great explanation Tony!:super:

Sorry I took things the wrong way, but in all the time I've been researching and putting the effort into adding quads, this is the very first time that someone told me I would have no gain as a trail friendly sled. If this is so, than why did they even make trail version quads? What's the sense?

They sure do sound good and the sled sure does feel to have more grunt since adding them.
THESE WERE THE BEST PIPES MADE FOR THE VMAX 800. THEY MADE GREAT TORQUE, GOOD POWERBAND FOR CLUTCHING (300 rpm) AND 22 hp. ONE PROBLEM THESE WERE DYNOED , BUILT, AND TESTED IN 1994. DON,T BE CONFUSED BY THE TRAIL VERSION. THEY WERE SAME AS MAXX MOD BLASTERS EXCEPT THEY WERE INTERNAL MUFFLERED FOR NOISE. THEY SPECED EXACTLY SAME. I LEARNED ALOT ABOUT THESE PIPES BECAUSE I TALKED TO BRUCE AT PSI OFTEN ABOUT THEM. HE GAVE ME LOTS OF INFO ABOUT THEM. I CAN TELL YA YOU WILL NEVER FEEL THE TRUE POTENTIAL OF THESE PIPES WITH STOCK JETTING. NOW ENJOY YOUR SLED, IF ITS A TRAIL SLED WHO CARES. KEEP IN DUMB, FAT AMD TOGETHER. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:

Back