Oil pump adjustment

Reddy

I was trying to adjust the oil cable "free play" to about 28mm and I had to screw the adjustment nut so far out that it just had one or two threads left. That doesn´t seem right to me.

I also have marks on the oil pump and in the lever. Can I adjust it according to those marks?

Or could someone post a picture of the pump, so I can see where the marks are when adjusted properly.

regaurdless of any marks on the pump/arm..I`d stick with the cable free play for sure..
maybe the cale is stretched?

when you get it adjusted to 28MM, roughly how far off the "rest" position, does the pump arm look?
usually there just barely off the rest/stop..

that said..don`t give up on the tech info at this site, it`s just that it`s still a bit slow..will pick up big time in the next few months..

AL P

when you get it adjusted to 28MM, roughly how far off the "rest" position, does the pump arm look?
usually there just barely off the rest/stop..

I will have to check that.

Yeah defiantly...it`s hard to describe..but on the side of the main arm that the cable hooks to, their will be a belt/tab..that tab would rest right on the pump if the cable was completly disconnected, or if the cable had too much free play..

but really in the end..as far as i know, you can`t go wrong with doing it by the book/spec free play..

AL P

I remember it wasn't resting on the pump.

The handlebar has been raised about 7-8 inches, so it makes me think if the book spec isn't right for my setup. But the oil cable looks original. Throttle and brake cables are lenghtened/ custom made and you can clearly see it.

ohh okay, I now inderstand your delema..if the oil cable does turn out to be a custom, or lenghened cable, then who knows, what kind of inner cable lengh they used to match the outer (IE book spec, may not apply)..
if that`s the case, your best bnet, would be to find out the exact measurment on the pump arm off it`s rest, go by that, then see what your free play is..that should determine, if it`s been customized or not, and/or, determine that if it is a custom cable, and if they nailed the inner wire lengh perfectly or not?

I may be able to get that arm measurment for ya, but probley not today..been sick as hell for a few days...hopefully I`ll get better soon..

hope that made sence..i do not always have the best sentence structures..LOL

AL P

I think I got most of it.. lol

It would be nice if you could take some measurements. Maybe you could measure the gap when the throttle is off and all the way in..? It should give me some guidelines.

Last edited:
I took photos of the oilpump lever position when at idle and wot. Does this look ok?

If someone could take same photos or just check in what position the lever is on their sled when correctly adjusted.

Thanks!

Idle

oilpump.jpg

WOT

oilpump2.jpg

Last edited:
give me a few, and I`ll go out and check mine..but from a quick glance, it looks like you have less then the minimal cable free play (it seams the arm/tab should be a bit closer to the rest position, and not so far off/lifted?)..that`s just a guess..so hold on until i get back...

might be about an hour..

AL P

So, it looks like that those marks on the lever and pump would align if I adjust it like yours is.

Would it be ok if I just adjust it so there´s just a little gap there?

Humm...go by the marks, and see if it`s just touching, or damn near to it..if it is, I would imagine your good to go..

now keep in mind, that throttle cable free play, is going to play a roll here...first set your idle to factory spec..then set your throttle cable free play (also seen as thumb lever free play)..then lastly, set that oil cable to where them marks line up, if, that happens to be when the arm is just touching, or damn near to it..
see this thread for thumb lever free play..
(scroll towards the bottom for pic/info on thumb lever/throttle cable free play post #26)
http://www.vmax4.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?8634-VMAX-4-800-Carb-Sync/page3

Yup...looks pretty much like mine now...

AL P

Atta boy Al!! You are making it easy for them. Man, with all the good deeds you've been doing lately you won't have to go to confession for at least a week (LOL).

opsled

PS. Now for a tough one. How do you do the drawing on pics like that. I didn't think it could be that hard cuz YOU'RE doing it but what could be impossible is teaching ME how. I think my skull has gotten thicker over the years.

I just save whatever picture...then open it with "paint" which is included in windows XP...once the pic is openned with paint, you can add lettering etc..
it`s soo easy, even a cave man could do it..LOL

thanks...I think?..LOL

this may be slightly different..but basically this is what i use..
http://www.getpaint.net/download.html
AL

Back