Opsled saved my 97!!!!

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at Phil's shop doing some work on my 97 I finally picked up last night. As always when I got it home noticed several things that I need to fix. In the process of doing this look what Phil found.. Could have been a huge mess!

Attachments

• 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_1223.jpg
    100_1223.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_1224.jpg
    100_1224.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 184

Great find.

I am looking at my sled, I was missing one tab and I cannot find it anywhere, I looked though each carb with a borescope but I did not see anything. I am going to pull the carb rack to get a better look tonight after work. Is there a chance the tab went though the motor and did not do any damage?

Great find.

I am looking at my sled, I was missing one tab and I cannot find it anywhere, I looked though each carb with a borescope but I did not see anything. I am going to pull the carb rack to get a better look tonight after work. Is there a chance the tab went though the motor and did not do any damage?

Not likely. If you don't find it it was probably removed from the airbox sometime in the past by someone else. I have found them just laying in the bottom of the airbox on more than one occasion. If the engine actually ate it and survived I would be surprized.

opsled

OPSLED IS ONE HELL OF A GREAT GUY!
and has helped me out on more than one occasion with what I believe were stupid questions, and didn"t mind.
Thanks Phil for all you do for us.
G

Pull the carbs and be sure!! The outcome will be costly if it is there and you jst dont see it.... and you will kick yourself in the azz!!!

I know it is extra work but.... i too have a borescope and could not locate one of the infamous white tabs on one of my 4's with it....

i put the airbox all back together, poured another Crown and said it is jst not worth it.... tore back into it,

removed the carbs and there it was hiding in the corner, jst out of bore-sight...

thank god i dove back into it... oh yes, and thank god for the Crown Royal too!! :)

Bubba... :rockon:

^^ pulled the carbs after work. Didn't see it, stuck finger in the hole and felt around and didn't find it (that sounded bad), scoped it with the carbs off, not there. Gonna suck it up and move on. So am I correct in that my sled it bone stock and I can put it back together with the white pieces gone and life will be good?

should have no problems, I remove the entire white collar. I have never hurt a motor. I cant imagine that white tab being anywhere in the motor without something major having happened already.

So lets see some pics of that new to you 97 Carl!!

I know you have been patiently waiting for it to arrive :)

Last edited:
Bubba- I'm not sure i was patient!! I will get some pic's up when it's back together. Got kind of carried away today and it really torn down right now.

HEY CRAZY LEGS ......LMAO

You my friend are getting pretty computer savvy.

P,S I like your new AVATAR :rockon:
G

Jack shaft trouble

HEY CRAZY LEGS ......LMAO

You my friend are getting pretty computer savvy.

P,S I like your new AVATAR :rockon:
G

I bought a 94 600 vmax with reverse! Surprise!! It stopped goin on the week end!! After havin a look I noticed the 2 part jack shaft has been stripped, a piece of pipe was slid over it and welded which the weld broke! Is there a difference between the jack shaft w/ reverse and the one for no reverse? I can't seem to find the which one I need in Canada??

I have the jack shaft, the long one, and I have the one that goes in the case, the short one. The problem is, the short one is different between a factory reverse and a add on reverse kit, but I have the pair.

I bought a 94 600 vmax with reverse! Surprise!! It stopped goin on the week end!! After havin a look I noticed the 2 part jack shaft has been stripped, a piece of pipe was slid over it and welded which the weld broke! Is there a difference between the jack shaft w/ reverse and the one for no reverse? I can't seem to find the which one I need in Canada??

Roots - Welcome to the site! :schild27::schild27::schild27:

I started a new thread for you in the "Other Yamaha Sleds" section of our forums. Your post here is in the Vmax-4 750 and 800's section. I don't see a way to move a specific post to another section of the forum without moving the whole thread, so I started a new one for you. More members will see it there and you will probably get more help, even though it looks like Kaw550 might be able to help you out.

Shark

Back