PHAZER II === CARBS???

BOWJIVE

I bought a Phazer II for my daughter, it had been sittng for a few years but a clean sled. I cleaned the carbs, the pilots were plugged. It still does not run right. It won't idle and I have to play with the choke to run it. It has Mikuni carbs with two plugs int he bowl of the carb. One plug was in the smaller center hole and the other plug was in the pilot jet hole. According to a Yamaha manual this the correct loacation, but it doesn't make sense to me to plug the pilot jet hole???? Any other ideas what my sled's problem is??? Thanks guys

im going through the same issues,it seems wrong but its right.one plug behind the main jet and one to the left which is the pilot. there are holes in the body of the carb its self the let the fuel in.
My problem is slightly different mod pipe with non stock carbs,Idles but wont take throttle. Im boiling it down to the seals are bad somewhere.

I bought a Phazer II for my daughter, it had been sittng for a few years but a clean sled. I cleaned the carbs, the pilots were plugged. It still does not run right. It won't idle and I have to play with the choke to run it. It has Mikuni carbs with two plugs int he bowl of the carb. One plug was in the smaller center hole and the other plug was in the pilot jet hole. According to a Yamaha manual this the correct loacation, but it doesn't make sense to me to plug the pilot jet hole???? Any other ideas what my sled's problem is??? Thanks guys

might want to clean the carbs again..even though you cleaned the plugged pilot jets..there may have been some debri in the fuel line/walls, that could have ended up right back in the pilot jets...
did you spray out the journals that the pilot jets thread into also?

NOT on a vmax 4 or sled per say..but i have ran across that before...get the carbs spotless clean..all passages clear..then very short after firing it up.it`s screwed again..pull the carbs back apart..they look good from a glance..spray them out again anyway..and bingo..it runs great...

Got fresh gas in er?
water always sets on the bottom of gas..so even if you drained the tank..theres still a good chance, that some water/moisture was still floating around the bottom of the tank?

Last edited:
Well I did clean the carbs for the second time and sure enough the pilots were plugged again. Got done and she sits there and idles great! Now I have two other possible problems. 1. When the carb was dirty the float stuck and empty my tank of gas. Some seemed to run out on the floor and some game out of the exhuast when I started it. Do I have anything else to be concerned with, as far as gas being dumped into the motor/crankcase? 2. It idles great now but my upper mid and high end range is not good. It doesn't want to go over 5000-6000 rpms(50mph). I also put new plugs in it. Cleaned main jets twice. Thanks

Also this Phazer has electric start and I haven't bought a battery yet so I have been running it with no battery at all, this doesn't hurt or affect the way it runs does it??? Thanks

Back