PIPES????

impala23

I have a 95 vmax that i am currently putting aaen twin pipes on and am not sure exactly what jets to put in. There are 160's in it right now and seems to be fine. Also I have a 94 Yamaha Vmax 600 St and i want to put a set of GYT twins that i have on it. What size jets and is there anything else i have to.
I am located in ontario, canada.

Another question what are the stock sizes that are supposed to be in both sleds?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Get ahold of fleet man, he has some good info and spec's he can share
with ya..

stock spec's for a '95 are....

1995 600- Main Jet 156.3,Clip Position middle,pilot jet 52.5,Float Height (mm)22.3+/-2,Fuel Screws 1 1/8-1 1/2.

1994 600 is the same as above..

8350 shift rpm for stock engine with GYT twins, not sure if aaen twin pipes would be the same,might be higher..

impala23 said:
really, the 94 right now is stock and has 147.5 main jets in it
It's not stock then..i'm showing 156.3 stock, somone leaned her down to help with gas milage i bet..

maybe i am not sure i just got it. so i should change them then. so how much bigger should i go if i put the gyt pipes on??

I am no tin the mood to rebuild motors right now. lol my 95 had the gyt pipes on it and ran good with 160 main jets but it had abit of a bog

I'm not sure how much more you need to go, stock is 156 so maybe then
158,162,i've never ran twins, my '95 is stock, like i said pm fleet man
he's got some good info.

didn't you get any jetting info with the pipes?

no i bought the pipes used and the guy didnt know what size because he blew is up due to leaning it out so stock is not good. The dealer says to go up 3 sizes ??????? I pm fleet man and asked him too thanks

Start fat and work down, maybe a 160/162 then go from
there, fleet man will get ya good starting point anyway, keep us posted.....

no problem , i just took the 95 vmax for a rip with the aaen pipes and it has 160's and it seems to be good. plugs are nice colour not really leaning out at all. have to wait till a colder day maybe. But i will let you know how it works afte r
thanks

Keep in mind that jetting specs for pipes are usually rated for sea level and a certain temp. As you climb in elevation, your jetting will drop in size. Best and safest way to jet is to watch your plugs and piston wash if you know how to read it. Keep your plugs a healthy tan-to-dark tan and you'll be ok.

Ian

Impala... I didn't get to finish that data sheet tonight. I'll finish and post tomorrow.

I can't comment on the Aaens. Im pretty sure they're going to be different the the GYT's. As for stock specs Daman is dead nuts on. 4with4 also raises a good point not to be overlooked.

On the GYT's, I'm at 850ft elevation 95 600 LE which is somewhat different than the DX etc, and I'm running the following with great results. I have two minor details I need to work out yet and they are. A flat spot on throttle between 4500 -5500 rpms. Nothing major but just don't feel right. It's not lean because I flip the choke and it gets worse. I'm thinking a needle change but haven't had the time to reasearch it yet. Still very driveable but noticeable when cruising on the rail bed. The other is I can't get the primary to fully close. My marks on the sheave are still there. Although I have yet to hold her wide open for any length of time so I can't offer a solution yet. I'm thinking a gearing change is in order. Thats my project for this weekend. I'm going to tackle that Sat morning and then run the river for some extended full throttle runs.

Set float to 23mm
I raised the clip on the needle to the second from the top with a washer under the clip. YMMV Start in center and adj from there.
Changed nozzles from Q6 to Q8.
156.3 Mains
Pilots I left alone.
Air screws are adjusted out about 1 1/4.
PPP primary spring with 3 washers. Engages around 4k.
8AB weights with 2.4g inner and 2.7g outter.
Silver secondary spring wrapped @ 40 degrees.
Stock helix, A 50/41 is on order.
Stock gearing (I think) I haven't peeked in there yet. Saturday.
Its a totally different animal with these changes.

Check the TY board there is a few great write ups over there about these pipes. Actually the setup I'm using is a combination of recommendations from Mr Sled and Turk with a bit of my own theory. Research, Research, Research. Gather all the info you can and make a decision from there. I posted a setup sheet on the TY board. It has handwritten notes and there is a copy of the original GYT installation sheet also that has what Yamaha specified for the twin tuned pipes. If ya can't find it give me a shout I'll email to ya.

I do have a ? on the gearing for anyone viewing. Which is better to change when gearing down the top gear or the bottom?

Last edited:
fleet man said:
The other is I can't get the primary to fully close. My marks on the sheave are still there.
I do have a ? on the gearing for anyone viewing. Which is better to change when gearing down the top gear or the bottom?

As far as I know the OEM Yamaha primary does not fully close and I would change the bottom gear.

vmax4rules said:
As far as I know the OEM Yamaha primary does not fully close and I would change the bottom gear.

Yup, exactly what I'm gonna do tonight. I have a 39 tooth bottom gear to replace the 37 tooth stocker. I'm still only going to be @ 1.86 ratio but it's closer to 2.0 than the 1.76 I have now. I also have a 20 tooth top gear but like to keep that one as large as possible. If need be I can swap out the 21 and go with the 20 also. Or, should I do both at once and be done with it? 20/39 is abot as close to 2.0 as I can get.

btw, I have close to 1 1/2 to 2 inches of mark on the sheave that isn't worn off

Back