Primary weight

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a primary off a memeber that parted his 95 ashphalt sled. I finally took a good look at it. He sent me the 8BU weights and a primary that had skinny weights(not 8BU) in it. Take a look at the pic's. The first picture has the 8BU weights w/ the skinny weight in the middle. Second pic is a close up of weight. Does anyone know what type of weight this skinny weight is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

they are 8CH-10's and weigh in at 35.32 grams empty part # 8CH-17605-10-00

which came stock in 97-99 700 sx's

thats all I know about them lol

Last edited:
Not sure what they are out of, but being from a drag sled, and looking at the shape of them, they were probably used with a relatively high angle helix with a large angle split and a light spring. All of the weight added to the tip like that will make for a more aggressive upshift at the top end. Good setup for drag racing and light sleds, but not so good for trail riding and/or heavy sleds. With the light secondary spring and high helix angle, the backshift would not be good for trail riding.

Just searched that part number, and it is used as an alternate setup for a lot of the Mountain sleds. Since the weight is so light, I would suspect that they are used for the very high altitude settings. The lighter weights will help keep the RPMs up at high altitudes. Kinda does the same thing as a stiffer spring in the primary, but the shape the the weight will have an effect on which part of the upshift is altered the most. Less weight on the pivot end will increase the early shift RPM and less weight at the tip will do the same for the later shift RPM.

Last edited:

Back