Primary

Ted

Vmax-4 Collector
So I finally got my 96 on the ice strip with 192 new chisels. She hooks up real good. I never realized this thing would accelerate so fast. I left my buddy,s xcr600 so far behind i couldnt see him through the ice dust. My
Engagement was only 3600 so I found A yellow/ orange spring from my 750 and put 3 shims behind it. Now it engages at 4800-5000 on the stand. My question is when the primary disengages there is an audible 'clunk';is this normal?

Any comments? The primary slaps back into place with a clunk. Probably not right, but it is engaging at 5000. Definitely not very trail friendly.

Because it is on stand, no resistance so when it goes below engagement spring snaps it open.

Just a though but did you thourghly clean the primary when you had it apart? Maybe it is sticking a little. remove and clean the white plastic sliders and then brake clean everything else and wipe down real good. Also probably not but maybe sometimes when you use shims it puts a bind on the spring but I dont think that would cause a snap back into place

You have a fair amount of spring pressure with that high engagment so you will hear it open. Do what Bubbaj said and put some spray paint on your primary spring, engage it a few times, take it out and watch for spring bind. That can be destructive. If theres no spring bind and its clean you should be OK. Also look for tiny spider cracks on the sheaves around the inner shaft. If the clutches were heated to much at some point in its life this is a common problem and can be very dangerous.

Back