Quads or silencers..

yamapex

As I may need a new silencer for my 96 v4, I wonder what would be the best option. I'm considering either repairing the original silencer, getting a hauck/bender/etc silencer or getting quads.

Is there a lot of of work getting quads working well (carb and clutch tuning)? Is it worth it? I have found that both aaen and hauck have quads available at about 1000$ (which is the one to get?).

Another option is getting some aftermarket silencers (300$) for more sound.

What would be the best option for me? The sled will not be used much, not raced, just driven occationally. Quads are quite expensive, but way cool. The silencers are about a third of the price of quads. Decisions, decisions..

Quads aren't hard to tune for. I have psi quads on both my 93 and 96 and they both are trail sleds. I like it for the sound. I ran psi quads on my 93 for two years with stock jetting and clutching with no problems. Of course, after I changed primary spring and helix it ran much better. Jetting barely changed, I just ran a little richer to be safe for extreme cold. I'll probably go back leaner this winter though, I don't ride much when it gets below 0F.

No they are not hard to tune, BUT,If you are thinking about quads for running in the mountains, they are hopeless unless you run dial a jet or Hotzman (misspelt i think) much more than 1000'' in elevation changes and you will need to rejet. This applies to 750s and 800s aaen and bender pipes.

Last edited:
ok thanks. I mostly run at sea level, so elevation changes won't be a problem..

But are quads worth 700$ more than silencers only?

People pay $4-500 all day long for a used set of quad pipes. $1000 is a lot of money for pipes but I have almost $500 into a set of 750 psi quads and haven't painted them yet. I believe most quad pipes add about 10-15 hp over stock exhaust and I haven't weighed them but I am sure they are lighter weight also. The best thing is the sound, sound great when idling. It may be a lot of money for exhaust but lots of benefits. One thing is for sure, you won't be disappointed.

Back