RAN FIRST RACE WITH VMAX 4 AND FINISED 2ND BUT NEED SOME HELP !

vollender

I ran my first race withe the vmax4. It did not start well at all. I had the last post on my clutch not working right, well I still had the same problem my first 2 runs then made some changes for the 3rd and got better but still disapointed.

Here is what I have. 1995 vmax4 800, polaris built skid 136 track, stock motor and pipes, blue hauck spring silver secondary spring, brand new yamaha belt all cleaned up and scotch brited clutch shives, 4600ft elivation. 24-37 gears

This is what is happing, with the set up I just listed my launch is tarible like 2.2 60 foot it feels like the belt is slipping real bad about half track it will pick up pretty good but the start is terrible. I was set up this way the first 2 runs. I was running 14.2 1/4 mile.

The 3rd run I changed my main clutch spring back to the one that was in it with like 3500 engagment, it went to a 1.6 60ft and a 13.2 1/4 mile. I am not sure of colors of spring I will have to get it out and find out. The launch pad had a tun of grip and was not spinning track at all.

I am a boat mechanic and to me boat lingo it felt like it was cavitating out of the hole and then it would bite. Also my clutch and bet were supper hot.

With this set up I made it to my first final in 4 years of racing and red lit bumber I still had fun.

It seems like the hauck spring is to stiff for my sled or can there be other problems with my clutch the part that really kills me is my ZRT 600 was faster then this sled.

THANKS FOR HELP
RAY

Last edited:

I had that same problem when I was racing my '97. You need to see if you have the Hauck speed sheave on the primary clutch. If you do, replace it with a new stock sheave.
Do you know anyone else with an 800 Vmax? Try a different clutch. You should not be having clutch slippage issues with a stock machines in those conditions. Something is wrong. You just have to find it. My 880 is lauching at 5500 and is running 1.4 60 ft times.

Would try 23/37 gears..
WSW short cover primary spring w/ 2 shims..
8BU weights outer hole empty beacause of elevation..
Straight 47 helix...
Hauck OD sheave dus help alot..It's in my opinion a very underestamed tunning device.
Oh yea,silver secondary spring at 80' twist and you can tune there at 10' at a time..Try 90',70',60' etc..
And if you could short track the sled,136" way to big for tar with a stock engine..

Back