Reproduction 92-94 helixs

tyler540

How many people would be interested in buying a 43/37 helix for the 92-94 secondary? This would be the helix to use for yammiegods setup. from what i understand they 43/37 but is nearly impossible to find for this clutch and to retrofit an 800 clutch you would also need to change the jackshaft, chaincase bearing, and gears... Seems like it might be alot easier to get a certain race shop to retool thier lathe and mill and do a run of them for us.... what do you guys think?

If going through that trouble I wonder if there is a more advantageous angle that could be made.

this is true, but i would be the last person to know.... btw it sorta pisses me off that bender would totally forget about the vmax4 when it was one of the models that the company is founded on. i sent a email to them saying how i was invited by tim to rummage thru the attic of the old shop and how cool it was and i was wondering if they had any helixs leftover by chance... they told me that they sold out of vmax4 stuff over the years and the didnt have the "broach" to make that helix anymore... im not sure what that means, but it doesnt sound to promising... maybe i should call tim at home and see if he can pull any strings anymore hahaha

i forget who I was talking to but I think it was hauck and they said they could still cut helixes. i asked if they could cut even the old style vmax-4's, and the answer was yes. Shortly thereafter I found a NOS 43-37(i thought it was 42-37)and forgot all about my conversation. But i was told that they could recut the older style helix. I am almost certain it was hauck, if not them it was AAEN.

Most of you probably already know this but just in case, here's a little bit of helix info.

The 92 and 93/94 helixes are not interchangeable, there is a slight difference in the spline.

The 42/37 for a 92 has casting marks 8AX 38 and there is a small A die stamped on it.

The 42/37 for the 93/94 has the casting marks 8AX 38 with a small R die stamped on it.

The 43/37 is a Hauck cut helix, according to Hauck it was a more aggressive version of the 42/37, more of the 42 degree angle. The one that I purchased from Hauck was cut on a 39 degree helix and the ramps weren't replated. Not sure if there is enough material to recut any angle helix or not, i.e. if a 33 can be recut to a 49 but I'm sure a quick call to Hauck would answer that question.

I also purchased an unused 49/46/39 from a guy who apparently did testing for Yamaha back in the day. I thought it would be way too aggressive but it seems to work pretty good.

There was also a PSI Helix that was something like 47/44/39 for running with their quad pipes.

Ken

Just to add, RPC,back in the day sold 52-39 46-37 41-35 Hard to come by, but they are out there somewhere......?

I would love to have something for my 92, but with swapping over everything to 800 specs, Im almost better off just buying a new sled and going from there.

Back