Reverse on a vmax4??

tyler540

this just randomly hit me lastnight while i was driving home....

a lot of the skidoos simply start the motor backwards to go into reverse... why couldnt we just do this on a vmax4 or any other 2 stroke without reverse.... on the electric starts all you would need would be another selonoid and a push button... it would be a bit harder on a vmax4 as you would have to wrap a rope around the primary backwards and yank..... the only thing i am worried about would be possible negative voltages from the stator?? and breaking the regular recoil from spining it backwards... from what i understand everything else should be ok to run backwards???? what do you guys think?

that crossed my mind also... but how do the skidoos do it?

ok so maybe the oil pump wont pump either??? the waterpump should flow water still only backwards??...

Last edited:
skidoo has a second ignition pickup that allows it to stop and then run backwards. without this set up the ignition timing is way off. Best to get an rx1 chaincase or find out if other models use something that would work.

If I remember correctly the V4 engine runs in a reverse rotation already - the PTO converts it to the proper rotation.

hmmm never thought about spark timing either... i would be fire PAST TDC... it may still run tho i dunno.... yeah the motor does spin backwards compared to other sleds.... i suppose the correct term would have been "start the motor the opposite direction"

it used to wrk on the old single cylender 250s & 300s i think even on the blue 300 twins my bro had a couple back in the 80s when i was just startin out & if it would backfire when you shut it dwn it would start in reverse

I thought about reverse myself. Then my ego takes over, as I wonder how cool I look pulling in making that circle like a bird of prey,,, staking out my perfect parking spot.

i have been told a member on this site put the wires on wrong by mistake and said when he started it was running backwards but have never tried it my self.

Yes it definitely will. I switch my coils to see how it would run, not realizing I have a 90 deg motor. When I pulled the rope, I felt a more resistance. I gave it one quick tug (one cylinder) & let go fast. It fired right up & sounded great. I throttled it up alittle and the track spun backwards. I'm thinking about installing a double pole. double position, center off switch. The from the idle you could switch to center off and just before it stops rotating flip it to reverse (crossed wires on back of switch). I let you know if it works

yeah let me know how that works for ya..... youll have to be really careful when you flip the switch.. and honestly im not sure where your installing the switch so let us know that too... im really anxious to see how you make out

All Right....

I gotta say it...

When you own and ride a Vmax-4... Worrying or even thinking about how to back it up should never enter the mind......

Forword with brawn and balls is the way of the Vmax-4 and so should it be with it's master.

opsled

LOL...I guess you could either make sure you can always go forward (my favorite plan) or park on a somewhat steep hill..be sure to use your parking brake..then..release the brake, and backwards you go!!,,,
LOL

Okay, while were throwing around insane ideas...stash a battery in the trunk..rig a chevy (or ford etc..LOL) starter to the brake disc area, and back it up electricaly, via the jack shaft??..LOL..yeah i know..there would be MANY ramifications to a plan like this..LOL

Last edited:
well my whole reason for wanting reverse was so i can back into the cramped garage after im down flirting with death...... we got so many sleds in the garage right now it is kinda tricky to spin any sled around once its in, let alone the 600 lb vmax 4.... and unfortuatly dollying them in wont work either because it is uphill right to the door.... i too kinda like the death circle we have to make when parking on the trail...hahahaha

I wasn't trying to figure out reversing the engine, but I want it to go fast with the skis leading. I just put #1 Clutch side at Top Dead center, the timing mark is about 30 deg adavnced. #1 is TDC #2 is BDC #3 is about 3/4 of an inch higher than #4.
Does this mean my crank is not indexed properly? Are we sure 90 means 90 and what is is?

I should mention #1 & 2 plugs burn clean #3 & 4 are dark almost black and backfires when starting and sputters off idle then runs up ok but lacks top end only 85MPH any idears

Crank gear has definitely spun. So I don't know if it will still run backwards with the crank indexed correctly. Running backwards may be a symptom of the crankgear slipping allow for split timing, 3 & 4 being retarded in normal rotation and advanced in reverse.

Back