smoking at start up

marc8_2

I have a problem maybe someone can help me out with. I have a 92 vmax4 that i pick up this year. It starts good and everything and clean up the carbs but the minute am ready to go riding it it has no power and a cloud of black/brown color smoke some out for about 30' and clear's up and runs like a top. It don't seem to smoke after that.

They tend to load up when they are idled for a long time. But with that said i've never seen black/brown smoke come out of mine, it's always been a light grey with a slight bluish tint. I don't think it would be running like a top if your cranks were out of phase. I would recommend checked your oil pump setting and don't forget the throttle cable free play............it's all in the service manual.

Ken

hey ken does take you a bit of time for it to clear out? sounds about the same thing is happening.i think its running ti much oil just didn't have time to check it out

Make sure everything is right on the carbs. Clean jets do not make a clean carb. All air/fuel passages must also be clean and free of crud. If not clean jets won't matter. Also make sure the choke plungers are operating, adjusted properly, sealing when closed and the choke air passages open and free of crud.

I just did the carbs on a 1200 mile 96. They were fairly clean and didn't need much but I did notice the bracket that the choke cable threads into was bent. It was holding the choke plungers open slightly. When I straightened it I watched the chokes go to full close. The plugs were real black and it wouldn't run until they were changed.

Ya gotta check everything to know where you're at.

opsled

Back