speedo cable broke off in driver

steve-o

a buddy of my runs a 1998 srx 700 and after closer inspection found the driver bearing was shot and the short exention in between the speedo gear and driver axle was sheered off deep inside the axle, PROBLEM? dose anyone now a easy way to remove it, tried pics, scews... dont whant to remove the driver and not enuff room for a drill. it is way in there! were the cable slides into the axle it lookes like there is an insert pressed or screwed into the driver axle, is this true, if so is it posible to change, any ideas of a quick fix untill we are ready to pull the undercarriage and driver.

I can think of a few ways but best to not ruin the axle. The cable part is likely pretty soft and what about running a small 1" #6 screw into it and then filing the other end square to fit the speedo adapter. i would need to look at the parts breakdown to see if the axle has a piece that goes in or if you need to buy a new axle. I bet a good machine shop could do something. Axle comes out with a little work in about an hour usually and then a good chance to service the skid and chain case

ya the piece is sheered off way inside, ill try a small screw to extrack it but if not ill make an insert to hold a shorter cable to turn the speedo gear

if you have a compresser with an air gun nozzle.. might be able to give it a quick shot of air.. might pressurize it right out

or if you can fit a needle fitting on a grease gun into it, sometimes a few pumps and the grease will pop things right out..... :)

ive have tried the air gun and my dental pics but its realy in there, thinking the prev owner rambed it in there tighter than a nun, gave up and reasembled, speedo was n/a when we picked it up, along with a long list of other rednecked fixes, lol good laph for the boys in the shop. lol

Last edited:
Got a stick welder?? if so...and your real good at the game oporation..LOL..maybe you could ever so carefully probe the hole with a live rod...."tic" weld it to the key, then extract??...LOL (may wanna unplug the CDI before trying this insanity..LOL)

if that sounds too crazy..maybe just cut a new key down a bit shorter seeing how the old one is broke off deep inside..should still be enough "wall" to hold a new slightly shorter key and spin the cable, no??

Last edited:
I agree 100% with Al, first do you have a welder? because (tic) welding LOL it is the way to go just gotta remember when your probing the hole you don't touch any of the sides or you'll never get it out lol

Worked in a machine shop for awhile.If you're trying to get a key out of a keyway and you don't want to remove the shaft, soak it in a penetrating oil for a day or so. Then try your dental tools.

PS Al what is tic welding lol

ill head to the shop in the morning maby and try to get a better look, try pic it out bit, make some messurments, might have to get all mc guyver and try acouple of your ideas.

Srx's suck on this problem cuz they don't have fold down side panels.

If not for that this is an easy fix.

7/32" drill, followed by a 1/4"-20 tap. Then a small slide hammer to screw into the drive (I made one just for this),,,, a couple of quick taps and the drive is out of the axle. New drives are less than $5 (less). Keys are cheap too. The same drives/keys were used for eeeeeeever. Any decent dealer should have them.

On a fold down side panel Yammie I could have the job done in 1/2 hr or less. On a trailing arm Yammie????? If inprov doesn't work. Drive axle removel will. Much more time though.

opsled

ok sweet, thats somthing i was wondering about when i was looking at the axle, i looked like a guy should be able to pull that little insert out, ill call yamaha on tues, mean wile ill pull the driver out and fix it properly oem for my buddy, make me feal better knowing its rite, thanks alot opsled!

try soak with pen oil /WD/ spray it good and shoot air in at 120 psi and back away with air gun and it should show up at the end .

ill def try one last time to blow and pic it out befor i start to rip out the skidframe and drivers, lol just in case. thanks alot guys.

Back