SRX 440

Roadrunner

Can you guys give me a little history lesson on the SRX, please? Where these fast for the time?
Doug

Doug, about all i can tell ya, is even the people i know that are hard core polaris, arctic cat, ect. fans, even talk good about the old srx`s, not that they dont like the newer one`s. but anyway. I`m asumming they were pretty fast for thier day?

So, these are highly looked for? Did they make alot and what years were they made? Prices for a used one?
Thanks
Doug

Dean,
I will after I see the rest of the sled. I would say it is not in great shape. Here is a picture of the engine, which look like it is sort of rough.
Thanks again
Doug

Attachments

• 000_0213.jpg
    000_0213.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
DOUG, GO TO DEANS VINTAGE PAGE AND SEE THE SHOTS OF MY SRX,s !! I RACED THEM FROM 1976 UNTIL 1995. I THAN BOUGHT MY VMAX 4. I,LL GIVE YA QUICK CRASH CORSE. YAMAHA MADE THE SRX FROM 1976 UNTIL 1982. ONLY ONE YEAR THEY WAS A 340 SRX IN 1976, THE REST WERE 440,s.!! THE FIRST TWO YEARS WERE THE WHITE ONES. THE 1977 SRX 440 WAS A SLED THAT LEGENDS WERE BUILT ON. THEY WERE 100 H.P. STOCK AND WEIGHTED 337 POUNDS. NOTHING COULD EVEN COME CLOSE. THIS SLED ONE EVERYWHERE YAMAHA RACED IT. IN 1978-79-80 THE SRX BECAME MORE TRAIL FRIENDLY. HP WAS DROPED AROUND 80 WITH A RUBBER TRACK, LARGER GAS TANK, SMALLER CARBS AND EVEN OIL INJECTION IN 1980. STILL THE SRX WAS THE FASTEST SLED YOU COULD BUY. IN 1981 YAMAHA DEGINED THE FIRST TSS SRX AND GOODBYE TO THE OLD LEAF SPRING FRONT END. THE 1981 SRX WAS A STORMER, BUT EVERYDAY SNOWMOBILES COULD NOT PUT UP WITH ITS DIRT BIKE ENGINE. YAMAHA TRYED MANY DEFFERENT UPDATES TO TRY AND TAM THEM DOWN, BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A PROBLEM CHILD. IN 1982 THE SRX BECAME A 500 cc STORMER, BUT STILL HAD SAME BUGS AS 1981. YAMAHA DECIDED NOT TO RELEASE IT. THAN IN 1983 THE VMAX 540 CAME OUT AS THEIR NEW FLAGSHIP SLED. TODAY, IN ORIGINAL CONDITION, ANY OF THESE SRX,s ARE WORTH ALOT OF MONEY, ESPECIALLY THE 77. I HAVE A 1980 SRX THAT I BOUGHT NEW, I LOVE THAT SLED AND PROBLEY WOULD NEVER SELL IT !! HOPE THIS HELPS YA SOMEWHAT! 3:16 (tony)

Yammie,
Thanks for the crash course on these sleds!! If you can help me determine by the pictures on here what year and shape you think this one is, I would appreciate it. A younger kid I know has this but he isn't sure of the year and he wants to sell it. Do you have an idea what it may be worth? I know that is a hard question to answer not see the sled. He said the snow was froze to the hood and he didn't want to chip it off for the picture.
Thanks a million

Attachments

• 000_0212.jpg
    000_0212.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 126
DUDE, THAT IS A 1981. AGAIN THE FIRST YEAR OF THE VMAX TSS BODY STYLE. THAT ONE LOOKS LIKE IT HAS SEEN BETTER DAYS. ACTUALLY THESE ARE VERY COLLECTABLE IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. THAT ONE PROBLEY COULD BE A GOOD PARTS SLED. !! 3:16 (tony)

81 srx PARTS FOR SALE

:xmas-smil I HAVE A BOAT LOAD OF 81 SRX PARTS TO HELP REBUILD YOUR SLED I GOT FROM TIM BENDER, ALSO SOME COOL SIGNED RACE PANNELS FROM HIM, RACE HOODS,TIMS WINDSHILES TOO.

Depending where you are at, if near IL WI IN I may be interested in buying it for parts. Let me know.

Jon

Back