stuck primary clutch

steve-o

have anyone pulled a primary apart? if so is there a easy or safe way of doing it, i now that the back plate needs to be theaded off but im scared of clamping it in the vise and recking the clutch. any opinions?

I havent had one off the crank but if your issue is the moveable sheave sticking you can slowly remove the 6 10mm bolts on the face of the primary with someone helping you and remove the spring. Have someone hold pressure in on the cover while you are removing the bolts. I believe a clutch puller is needed to remove from the crank... someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can download the service manual for more info...
Chris

i have the clutch off and all arms and rollers out, sitting on the bench. now i need to remove the back face that the belt rides on so i can remove the inner sliding face, i need to cleen up the hole shaft do to rust from sitting outside. it would be much easyer to cleen the hole clutch if i could take it apart. it will move in and out with the help of a rubber mallit but stick hard when the clutch is in open position. i tryed to unthread the back face with a tool and a pipe wrench but worried im going to reck it. its realy on there, lol

Most of the clutches I ever took apart, had lock-tite used on them so a little gentle heat works wonders, even if all you have is a propane torch to soften the lock-tite. I would think if you used some emery cloth and some lube, you should be able to clean up that shaft enough, and then add some lube that it will work itself free without having to go through all that bother as they can be a real bugger to get apart sometimes. Hope this helps...Rob.

thanks guys, i got it apart (4 foot pipe lol) it was realy on there, cleened it all up and workes great now, hopfully ill get to take it on its first run tomorow for the first time in 6 years since it was parked by the pre owner. parked do to a varry badly stuck primary

I think the proper tool you were looking for is called a Grunt tool. I'm assuming you removed the fixed sheave from the spider. How did you hold the clutch? I think the dealership puts them in an oven to soften the locktite and then puts them on a tool that holds the fixed sheave and uses the grunt tool to spin off the spider. This is just my assumptions though. I have never taken one apart that far.

well this was the first clutch i completely disassembled. i clamped the fixed sheave in the vice using an old sled belt so i wouldnt scatch the shaft that the spring slides over, tilted the clutch to the side so one of the tree arms of the fixed sheave was clamped in the vice as well to keep the clutch from turning. aplied heat to the spider and used a small pipe wrench to twist off the spider, (left hand thread) cleaned the bushings with some scotch bright pads, cleaned the shaft with emery cloth and cleaned up the clutch faces with a good heavy grit sandpaper. having the grunt tool would have been a big help but i managed. might look into ordering one up in case i need to do it agen.

Back