Studding track----HELP!

Carllaponte

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning on studding the track on my 93 this week. It still has stock track. I was going to go w/ 96 and a pattern up the center. Does anyone have a pattern they know works well. I have heard you should NOT have one of your boogie wheels go over where you have stud go through track? Any thoughts on that from you experts out there. I'm using Sled for trail riding and some rivers that have snow on top. From searching this site it looks like I should use a .875 5/16 " stud. I also found one post that stated I would need a rear tunnel protector? Is this true, and if yes where can I buy one?? Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:

Found the tunnel protectors and have them on order, but woodys site is telling me to use .748, and I have found several members saying i should use .875. Also Woody's is saying in need to use 144, I was thinking 96. Using for trail riding? Thoughts?

Sorry , found on Ebay for 45 w/ shipping. Wish you would have sent early. would have done it vrs spend an hour on ebay! Thanks!

Found the tunnel protectors and have them on order, but woodys site is telling me to use .748, and I have found several members saying i should use .875. Also Woody's is saying in need to use 144, I was thinking 96. Using for trail riding? Thoughts?

Thanks, got 96 on order. Thinking I'm going to make my own pattern up the middle also, and stay off boggie wheels.

With the power that we generate, it is recommended that you have 192-240 studs. Studding the center of the track will help in straight line acceleration. If you're going to be trail riding and going around corners, it is recommended that you also stud the outside of the track. You should be running at least 8" of carbide on the skis because the studs will make it "push" through the corners and won't want to turn as well.

The "tunnel protectors" referred to are really heat exchanger protectors, not to be confused with tunnel protectors. The rear heat exchanger protectors and are necessary to protect your rear heat exchanger under the back of the seat in case of catastrophic track failure. Trust me, they saved mine when my track blew up at 90mph. Shadetree Powersports still has them for $30.

You should also have true tunnel protectors. They are long strips that protect the heat exchangers that run the length of the tunnel and are harder to find. They keep the studs from damaging the long heat exchangers that run the length of the tunnel when the track is flapping up and down.

Shark

Last edited:
i put on a used track for testing and it only has 96 in a 4 bar v pattern and realy wishing i had much more, lol. as for placment, running over the studs with your boggies will plant the stud deeper into the ice and snow for better trackion like hitting it with a hammer but at the same time put alot more stess and flex on the stud under hard accel. and will somtimes will eat the rubber off the boggies. the added abuse will weakin the track around the stud and cause pull thoughts over the life of the track.

Last edited:
Nit surd where you guys get some of your info, but studding over the wheels is not going to cause

excess damage to the wheel or track. If so, please add link with the test data that showed this.

Back